worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCrunner

Hatchling Member
so i know pheonix worms and crickets are good. i got a coupon for free wax or meal worms (i forget which one), and being the poor teenager i am, need to get anything free i can. what are ya'lls opinion on wax and meal worms? its like 25, and he eats about 17 crix a day ( a 2 month old baby)

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Well, they are cheapie worms, and that's why the retailer is offering them free.

Wax Worms should only be used as treats, due to their fat content. They are like the potato chip of beardie food. Some folks have fed them to their beardies, only to have them refuse other food. You can keep them in the fridge for a week or so, I believe.

Meal Worms are junky worms. They have barely any nutrition/protein and their shells are hard and pose an impaction risk. Avoid them.

I would grab the waxies, but only use them for a treat.
Hope that helps!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I agree; wax worms should be an occasional treat.

I bought mealies for Budo, feeding him 20-30 teeny ones per week, which wasn't enough to cause impaction. But then one day I realized that I was out of crickets (beardies eat so much, I can't get crix in fast enough!), and while I was waiting for my order to come, I fed him a few too many mealies... and he got impacted. 30min long baths every night, syringe-feeding baby food every day, massages, time on the heat pad... an impacted beardie is a lot of work. And Budo was only minorly impacted, it can get really serious, meaning vet care, which does not come cheap. (I would know. :roll: )

If you're short on money (aren't we all?), I suggest breeding insects. I just got a colony of dubia roaches going last month, and I love them! They don't jump, they don't fly, they don't smell, they don't make any noise... they don't do anything, which is why I love them. They're a bit pricey initially, but super easy to breed, and after a few months to get them breeding, you'll never have to buy crickets again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom