worms/paracites

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutter

It's really late Friday night here, so now is a great time to discover at least one of my reptile is ill! No vets til Monday, so is there any advice you guys can give for me to treat this, or just anything really!

My bearded dragon just did a poop, I always look closely at their poops just as a routine check that everything is ok, but this time I coudl see that the surface of the poop was moving. As I looked closer, there was definitely something alive in there. They were like thin white worms that were tapered at the ends, they weren't through the poop, just in the end bit of it.

They looked exactly thesame as these little guys
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=611&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbnid=yF0-9tlpa6xFbM:&imgrefurl=http://www.humanparasitesymptoms.com/intestinal-parasites/how-do-pinworms-enter-the-body/&docid=2zmyshZhaScXzM&imgurl=http://www.humanparasitesymptoms.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pin-worms.jpg&w=400&h=321&ei=mdIJUOucFISg0QXCjqTECg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=166&vpy=160&dur=646&hovh=201&hovw=251&tx=141&ty=110&sig=100097318920514499444&page=1&tbnh=114&tbnw=143&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i

I know that doesn't mean it is them, it's just to give you an idea of what I saw.

Anybody know of any treatments? Anything I can do? I'm pretty much on my own until Monday :cry:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Flutter....those look like pinworms, generally treated with Panacur. Don't get too worried, they are not very harmful, so your beardie will be fine until you can get to the vet next week. Some people use a natural product called Parazap, Google it and you'll see where to buy it [ possibly Drache613, a moderater , sells it .

flutter

Original Poster
I've been looking at pictures of worms (or things that look like worms) and pinworms is so far the closest match. The beardie who has it poops daily so I'll see what tomorrows poop looks like. We think if it's anything then it'll be the crickets, we moved house a couple of months ago so have a new supplier. They're slightly cheap per box and you get WAY more in a box, makes me worry they sell them so cheap because they don't look after their cricket colonies well. I don't like the pet shop as it is, but I don't really have a choice, my next nearest is a nearly a fiver bus ride away.

Gutted because this is the 1st real illness of any of my pets, this will be my 1st vet trip due to an ill pet!

flutter

Original Poster
I've seen beaphar wormer on the same stand where I get my reptile disinfect. Anybody any idea if this would work? I think its just for ringworm, but is it worth a try, or more harm than good?

flutter

Original Poster
I've also heard of DIY faecal test kits. I already have a decent microscope to do this with (don't ask, I'm a massive science geek, I've had the microscope for a while!). Even if I use this to identify any problem, is there anyway to get get the meds, or would I have to go to the vet to get them anyway?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's never good to use something that you're unsure of, there could be tragic results. Besides, ringworm is a fungus, not actually a worm. Please don't worry, pinworms are extremely common, pretty harmless and in low amounts are not even to be worried about. Just wait until you can get a fecal done and get the proper treatment.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, I was typing while you were....yes, you can order meds. from Beardeddragon Co. [ Rioreptiles ]

flutter

Original Poster
I live in England do they ship over here? Would they make it through from there to England or would customs not allow them?- I've never really travelled or had anything other than clothes shipped from another country, so I have no idea what customs are really like :?

Sorry for all the questions, this just came as a bit of a shock. There's been no change of behaviour or pooping or anything, and the other day was my 1st day back on the forum, it all feels a bit weird...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, I don't think you could have it shipped from the U.S. If you Google Panacur for sale in the U.K., you'll find some. You just want to be sure on the dosage. Although Panacur is pretty safe, if you are unsure about it , you'll have to find a vet that can do it to be safe. And yes, many dragons carry pinworms with no visible signs of ill health whasoever.

flutter

Original Poster
I've seen panacur for rabbits on sale lol. Same stuff? Different dosage for a bearded dragon compared to a rabbit I guess, but I'm sure there will be someone that knows the correct dosage. Even if its different concentration or whatever I'm capable of diluting it (spent 3 years of my degree diluting stuff- BORING!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom