worms- do you place them in cricket keepers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sha489

so this might be a dumb question but i never feed my beardie meal,silk,wax worms. but im going to buy some and they always come in a little cup. are you suppose to like put the meal silk or wax worms in like a cricket keeper. and if so what do you feed them? also do you put in a wet paper towel and egg carton piece like crickets? i feed my crickets orange cubes. would i be able to feed the worms these? if you place them in something like a cricket keeper will they live longer? then in there styrofoam cup in the fridge? and do they have to be in a fridge or can they be in a room at room temp?

LJean

Extreme Poster
When I had silkworms I kept them in the cup they came in. I bought the pod so their food was in with them. Did not put them in the fridge, don't think you are supposed to. I only buy a small amount of waxworms when I use them, so don't do anything with them either.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Not sure about silks and waxies, but mealies need to be refrigerated, or they will morph into large beetles (or so I hear; I have been very careful to refrigerate them ever since I heard that!). Any sort of ventilated container will work; I use a small plastic tub with no lid (they cannot climb). They usually do best with a "substrate" of oatmeal; they eat it and they can also burrow in it. They don't need egg cartons. Yes, orange cubes would work, but slices of fruits and/or veggies will work just as well, and are cheaper.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
I agree I would not refrigerate them!! As for the super worms yes they will morph into beetles in return they mate with each other and produce more supers! They dont fly or climb. When you refrigerate them it slows or stops their morf!! Just my 2 cents..

Lance

sha489

Original Poster
alright thanks everyon. i got my phoenix and wax worms in and i think half the phoenix worms wered and half were black. is that normal i dont know

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I've never had PWs or wax worms, but some of my mealies have been turning black and rotting... they might be dead. Did the company give you a live guarantee? If so, you could probably get a refund.

imsarah

I keep my supers in a cricket keeper full of cricket food and put a wet cotton ball in there so they dont eat each other. It seems to work since I've been finding fewer hollow bodies since I started adding the cotton ball. Before adding a new batch from the store, I'll sift the entire contents of the keeper to get rid of the wet chunks and find worms I may have missed. Then I sift the new worms out of the sawdust and dump them in.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
sha489":f7e70 said:
alright thanks everyon. i got my phoenix and wax worms in and i think half the phoenix worms wered and half were black. is that normal i dont know
as long as they are still moving the black phoenix worms are good to feed. just warm them up a little and they will start wiggling. feed them off first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EternalAzhrei
Top Bottom