Wood vs glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJeno

The name says it all! I'm working on a DIY viv, and I was just wondering what the pros/cons were to using wood vs glass walls in an enclosure. I'm thinking I'll go with wood, but I just had a few questions and things to clear up. Any help at all is totally appreciated, thanks!

-Wood walls would be easier to install vents in - however, I'd then have to make a sliding glass door so she'd have a way to see outside. I'm unsure of whether or not I could do this properly, how easy are they to install? If I had glass walls, I could just use a screen top and not have to worry about vents or sliding glass doors.

-Wood would be aesthetically pleasing with the right stain, but glass would provide Leyla more of a view of her surroundings. Which should I use?

-It'd be much, much easier to keep a wooden enclosure warm than a glass enclosure, correct?

-Which is more expensive - glass or wood? (Take into account sealing and possibly staining for the wood!)

If I go that route, what kind/thickness wood should I use? What about glass?

Any and all answers are not only welcomed, but appreciated! Thanks, and Leyla thanks you too! :blob5:

mikem83

Hatchling Member
Hi,

I built a 4 x 2 x 2 out of 3/4 inch oak plywood which was about $50 for the sheet. For the front i used 1/4 plexiglass with of course 1/4 sliding door tracks, which can be bought on Amazon for cheap. The rest of the stuff i bought from lowes. I think wood is a better option because it does hold heat better than glass. Its also easier to get in and out of the viv from the front rather than taking the lid off the glass tank. As far as building i, as well as many others, followed the "crossfire" design and made a few of my own adjustments along the way. It was expensive but worth it in the end. Be sure to use non toxic materials for finishing the wood and be sure to let it cure for about a week. For the caulking i used GE Silicone 1. For the stain i used a minwax stain and then I also used Polycrylic water based sealer. Hope this helps and good luck whatever you decide to use.

Onlymediocre

Juvie Member
I also made one from wood, I used 3/4" Blondewood (it was $30 a sheet at lowes), It took one sheet. I have my beardies in a glass tank atm and have to cover 3 sides or they window dance and freak out, which seems fairly common so having a full view might not be the best. We couldnt find the tracks locally so my husband used some trim and just screwed it in there and we made our own. Making a viv cost more than buying a glass tank, but in the end it looks better, imo. And will last longer.. I dont have to worry about it breaking or anything, where with a glass tank, what if it shatters?. You can also play with the design and make it how YOU want. We used Lexan for the glass... heres the thread on the one I made >> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=178233 I tried to detail into it as much as I could.. If you look thru the DIY section ull see all kinds of ideas on different vivs.. Some ppl make them out of existing furniture, its very neat.

TJeno

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll go with the Blondewood - I love the color of yours, especially on the inside. Not to mention, it's cheaper. :lol:

So, about what was your totals for your vivs? I think I'll go with wood and cover 3 sides. That way she'll feel more 'cozy'. :)

Onlymediocre

Juvie Member
I think mine was between 150-200-ish? It was several trips to the hardware store... and that price would be including the light fixtures and bulbs... but even if you dont include that, I was lucky and alrdy had the tile and got the lexan for free. So it would probably still be around the same range. I like the look of the blondewood too (thats why I didnt put a stain on it) And I misbought the wrong silicone at first and used that white board for the back, when out of one sheet of the plywood I could of made the entire viv. The decorative pink trim also is not necessary... It rlly just depends on what u wan to do with it... Right theres 25 I didnt have to spend, and I could of bought a bag of grout instead of the premixed and paid 1/2 of what I did for that! So Just look around and price your items, get a general idea of what u want and go for it :) Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom