wood vs glass viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurela

I initially had my one beardie in a 33 gallon re-purposed fish tank but he's grown to the point where I want to get him in something bigger soon. Right now I have the light fixtures clamped to the sides of the glass and the top of the tank open, which I like for handling, cleaning, and feeding. I was planning on buying a used fish tank but I want something that is at least 36"x18"x18" and I can't seem to find any fish tanks wider than 12" on buy and sell so I was going to make one. I have very limited wood working skills and I saw some helpful youtube videos on putting together glass tanks so I was leaning towards glass. I'm pretty new to this so I was wondering if there was any benefits to wood vivariums, and which type of vivarium would be easier for someone with limited handyman skills or tools to build.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I hope you get many opinions on this as I have limited knowledge, so here's what I know for sure: Wood viv's keep the heat in much better. Glass viv's are super easy to clean if you get a nasty parasite. My Beardie had a Parasite when I adopted her. The battle was so extreme that I vowed to only use glass or plastic enclosures. The cage furniture is also all resin. Pros and cons to both. Good luck :wink:

laurela

Original Poster
Thanks that is a very good point! I just finished dealing with coccidea a few months ago which he had since I got him and I have nightmares about it coming back, I took everything out but the bare essentials during treatment and I would NOT want to deal with trying to sanitize wood on a daily basis.

laurela

Original Poster
Interesting! I didn't know they even existed in plastic I'll have to look into it. I definately want to take the time making a nice enclosure for him now that I know it'll hopefully be the last one he ever needs. Also I just bought a kingsnake off a friend and his tank looks amazing with all kinds of drifwood, hides, and plants so now I feel bad for the beardie because in comparison his current enclosure is so dull!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom