Wont eat, it's been a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLB85

I have a 1.5yr old healthy happy beardie but for about a week now he had refused food. He's also slowed his poops down to about once a week which ive been monitoring closely.
This worried me at first but I regularly check his belly for any hard lumps indicating impaction and there are no hard spots in his tummy. I also make sure he gets water and when he does go, it looks fine an'd his urates aren't too hard. So im thinking this is normal as he's aging?

However He's never gone this long refusing food. Lately he's also been hanging out mid- tank where it's cooler, but he hasn't been trying to burrow in his cave on his cool side, so im not sure if he's in the beginning stages of brumation or if he's just slowing down for the winter? Ive never dealt with brumation before.

He seems alert and healthy in every other way but I just don't know when I should start worrying about him not eating. Any advice would be super helpful!

Btw he has Acadia uv light, proper basking temps, by I think his cool side might be a tad too cool so im going to check that and alter if needed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's highly likely to be exactly what you suspect, just a bit of a slow down, nothing at all to worry about. A lot of people post the same concerns this time of year. I'm sure he's fine. :) Do you have pics of your boy ?

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
It sound like he may be going into brumation. Which is natural for them this time of year. I would keep offering food daily and he'll eat when he feels it.

KLB85

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, that gives me some peace of mind. Since I've never experienced brumation, will they always go to sleep during it? Or can it sometimes just be this slowing down and lack of appetite? When they do this, is a long sleep sure to follow? Or does that not always happen? If he does go to sleep in the cold part of his tank, is he okay to be that cold for a long period of time while he sleeps? Or should I move the heat light over to give him a little more warmth? He has tiles on the floor of his tank, so it just sucks any heat out of him when he lays on them for a longer period of time.

I'd love to share some pics of Tilman! He likes to chill on his heat pad (specially low for him) and watch out the window, and hang out on my boyfriends shoulder when he's working.
93324-1000364563.jpg
93324-1908268286.jpg
93324-7922424762.jpg
93324-4979189090.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's VERY plump, no need to worry about if he's ready for sleeping/brumation. Provide a cave for him to get some privacy if he wants, with or without some fleece or wadded paper towels. He'll do what he needs. As long as he's sleeping don't offer food. After he's done + willingly comes out to bask you can offer food. He'll be fine. :)

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
He's so handsome!!! He looks strong and healthy like a linebacker. I love how he "helps" at the computer. As for the brumation - my Kevin doesn't go into a deep brumation sleep, he just gets sleepy/lazy all winter - sometimes he'll eat, sometimes not. I just keep his lights and everything as normal.
FYI This website has great info on brumation under the care sheets and articles section.

KLB85

Original Poster
Okay great, he has a nice cave with a fleecy blanket on the bottom to help with the cold tiles, which he uses sometimes, but I might put a few more cozy fleecy pieces in there for him to cozy into. It's great to know that your Kevin doesn't go into a full brumation, so far Tilman is acting like your Kevin too, very lazy, sleepy and staying a bit cool. He's definitely a good weight, but I think those pictures accentuate his curves a little more because he's pancaked out :lol: I love his little beardie curves :lol: Thanks for the help, I'll keep an eye on his eating, hopefully he accepts something soon!!

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Kevin is a husky guy - 1.5lbs - but the vet said for his size and build, he's good. He likes to snuggle into blankets too - Kevin is free range, so my cats like to lay down under his lights - so sometimes, Kevin and NormaJ just like to climb on my cat Sofia....she's nice and toasty.

102444-8055469826.jpg
102444-5241538393.jpg

KLB85

Original Poster
Kevin is a stud! Haha, he's definitely a big guy! That's awesome that him and the cat cuddle together, love it :D !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom