Winter Nights!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I havve a little problem with Dreyko. The thing is that at nights my room gets cold and his temp at ties drops to 63*-64* so I noticed that a lot of you got your babies fleece blankets. So I went out and got him one and even embriodered his name on it with a lizard design on it myself (I'll put a picture up later of it) So now the problem is that I tried to put him inside the fleece like a burrito but he gets scared and just runns out or don't even go in it. So I left the fleece next to his rocks at night that maybe he goes in it but he just simply don't want to. :cry: What can I do to make him like his fleece? I was just thinking of buying him a night heat light so he can stay warm. Any advice would be great. Thanks guys :D

Virus

Hatchling Member
Well if he isn't comfortable with a blanket yet, then just leave it in to let him get used to it on his own time.

However, with those temps, a blanket will just keep him comfortable, but only by texture and not heat. Don't get any 'night lights' or red lights. Anything putting off light will most likely disrup their sleep. However, that is too cold at night for him, so you should look into CHE (ceramic heat emitter). That will keep him warm at night, and without providing any disruptive light. Also, by doing this, you could leave the blanket underneath the heater, and hopefully this will entice him to lay on the blanket underneath the warmth to sleep at night.

Hitman2685

Original Poster
Yea I'm a do that, I had the CHE last winter but at times I would find him with his mouth open gasping for air reminds me of me in the summer when I can't take the heat lol but I'm a try to just leave the blanket inside and hopefully he gets use to it cause he don't do that when I wrap him in my shirt once the day is done and I take it off at night but hopefully he likes his blanket :wink:

Virus

Hatchling Member
Mouth gaping isn't a bad thing. As long as the temps aren't dangerous, and I'm sure they won't be if your just using a CHE and the ambient house temp is 65-ish. It's merely a sign that he is regulating his body temperature, and warm enough.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's important to understand that a blanket does not warm a cold-blooded animal because a reptile does not generate it's own heat. One thing you can do is put a small hide in the cage, even an empty shoe box, and use a black party light, about 60 watt, from home depot or Lowe's . That way the light isn't as bright, it's less expensive, and it doesn't over heat the cage. There should never be mouth-gaping at night, a cool temp. is necessary for health. Contrary to popular opinion, dragon's don't need and don't care for blankets. It's just something to get their nails stuck in....there are no blankies in the desert ! LOL !

Virus

Hatchling Member
I mostly agree, however, I severely doubt that a CHE will make it hot enough at night with ambient temps of 63-64 degrees to make the dragon gape. Perhaps during days when it's generally warmer in the house, as well as with extra heat sources, then the dragon would more likely gape.

I still wouldn't use a heat source at night that provides any light. The dragon might decide that it would rather sleep in other areas or positions that under a hide or shoebox. A CHE would allow the dragon to sleep as it pleases without worry of being disturbed.

Another point, as you most likely expect, would be about blankets. Yes, dragons don't need them, just like we don't need clothes, however, there are plenty of first hand accounts of dragons choosing to sleep on, in, or under blankets over other options in their cage. I'm not trying to leap to being into a 'white knight' to defend the minds of dragons. No, I'm just stating that just because someone doesn't need something, doesn't mean that they don't enjoy, or prefer it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, I know that a che is fine for night. I was under the impression that the dragon was gaping at night. As for the blanket/ clothes comparison, I think it's kind of along the trend of people dressing up their dogs. Some dragons might tolerate blankets and sleep fine with, just like others do without.....but the poster stated that his dragon wanted out. So that said it all. People, on the other hand, need clothes to keep warm in winter, deflect sun in summer.

Virus

Hatchling Member
I do agree on the note that things can be overdone to excess with pets. I am very much against my dog ever having clothes. I've had to get onto my girlfriend about it with our german shepard a couple of times in a conversation.

I am not trying to say you are wrong in your thoughts over how dragons don't like/need blankets. It is true that some will show more interest in them than others. Yours and the OP's dragons may not show too much interest in them, but I currently have four, and each of them will go straight for anything soft to nap on, or in. Other than their blankets, I have one that, whenever she runs around, she has decided to nap in my hoodie, or a more interesting one was my padded headset. Each are different, and all are wierd in their own reptilian way.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, I can see your point. And many people that have beardie blankies would probably love to lob a rotten tomato at me for that comment. Like you said, they are all different, but no need to be alarmed if a beardie won't accept a well-intentioned owner's offer of a cozy bed.

Virus

Hatchling Member
Well I'm sure that those beardies are just looking for an excuse to throw their rotten tomatoes at anyone walking by. A shame their owners would give them rotten salad in the first place :p

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
We cover all our beardies with soft towels, so they don't get any light, then we use 40W night lights (black lights). As our beardies are always covered, they're not disturbed by the night light and they stay warm enough (70F) but not too warm. We have a golden gecko in a mesh tank in the living room, so leave the living room heat a bit higher, so our beardies in our living room don't need night lights. Our girl Sweetie's in our bedroom, which I always have at the highest 68F, so she gets a night light. All our beardies are used to being covered or wrapped from after bath time, so we just continued at night time, as they all have their own towels of different colours. Our oldest beardie Lonzo, who's 7 1/2 yrs old, loves his royal blue towels, Sweetie's are pink & yellow. Rubio's towel is orange, Didi's towel is yellow and Leo's towel is yellow and brown. They're so funny in their likes and dislikes.

Hope that helps,
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom