Winter Brumation in Canada (colder climate) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

binger

Hatchling Member
Before I begin, let me preface this by saying: Yes, I've read the article on brumation... I've read every article on brumation that I can get my hands on. :)

Last night we had a bit of a cold snap... the temperature dropped pretty dramatically. When I checked on my babies this morning, the cold side of the terrarium was in the low 60's.

I had been attempting to keep them eating, bringing them out for a bath and a snuggle every day or two, and keeping fresh greens and worms in at all times. They were eating every other day, basking for half a day, then climbing into their hides and snoozing for a day or two. They seemed fine with this.

With the outside temps dropping, my question is this: Should I lower the basking and ambient temps in the terrarium and just leave them to brumate for the winter? This is our first winter with bd's, so we're still unsure of how to handle this. If it's recommended to lower the temps and let them sleep, what is the safe temp, and what should their lighting schedule be (if any)?

Thanks... I'm sure I'm not the only person having these winter blues :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom