Will not tame and size oppinoins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love our lil guy/gal but i am really considering getting rid of it cuz we cannot get it to tame. Ive read just about all of the stuff on here and none of it seems to be working. Also want some oppinions, I think that the pet store sold him/her way to soon. We've had him/her going on two months now and measured it the other nite while asleep and was 9 inches long. Im thinking that it should be bigger than that shouldn't it. Also it eats like a pig.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Dragons are not like dogs or cats who are always open to adoration and form bonds immediately.
They can take time.

Before we discuss ways to tame your dragon can you please run through your set up with me?
ALOT of times improper enviroment can lead to an unhappy and untame dragon.

How big is your tank?
How long have you had your dragon?
What lighting are you using for a basking bulb?
What UV lighting are you using? Please be specific as to brand and wattage (you will find it on the bulb somewhere)
What substrate is your dragon on?
How often does your dragon poop?
Do you bathe or mist your dragon?
What are your temperatures? Basking and coolside?
How are you taking these temperatures?

Holly

beardiewoody

Original Poster
Ethelia":26777 said:
Dragons are not like dogs or cats who are always open to adoration and form bonds immediately.
They can take time.

Before we discuss ways to tame your dragon can you please run through your set up with me?
ALOT of times improper enviroment can lead to an unhappy and untame dragon.

How big is your tank? 30 gallon
How long have you had your dragon? almost three months
What lighting are you using for a basking bulb? sun glo 100 w
What UV lighting are you using? Please be specific as to brand and wattage (you will find it on the bulb somewhere) repti glo 10.0 coil. (going today to swap for a tube light)
What substrate is your dragon on? repti carpet
How often does your dragon poop? very regular sometimes 2-3 times a day
Do you bathe or mist your dragon? bath a couple times a week and mist when it's shedding
What are your temperatures? Basking and coolside? Bask-95-105, cool- 80
How are you taking these temperatures? Hot side with analog and stick on strip for both sides

Holly

When we first got him/her she was fairly calm and didn't have a lot of trouble tryin to pick it up but it seems like him/her get more agressive every time we try. For the past week we've been getting it out about 30 to 45 min after lights out and letting it sleep on one of us and this was working fine till last nite when i tried and the it went wild and this was the first time it had ever hissed at us.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Ok there are a couple of things we need to sort out in your tank first.
Firstly you need to ditch that repti-glo coil immediately. Coils are always dreadful but even the repti-glo strip bulbs have been proven to badly affect dragons health.
UV strip wise you need a repti-sun 10.0.

If your dragon has not been recieving proper UV stimulation there is a very high likelyhood that he would become more and more agressive.

Also its really advised that you measure your temps with a digital thermometre with a probe, you can get the Accurite branded one from Walmart for $12.
The strips and dials can be anywhere up to 20* off. The difference can make a huge change in your dragon.

If you change your enviroment I would expect you to see a change in your dragons behaviour within a week or so.
Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom