Will a bearded dragon move from an area that is too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKay

Hello,

I just recently setup a new tank for my dragon as she's too big for her old one. I'm trying to regulate the basking temperature on this new tank.

I have her old log that she likes to sit on and using a temperature gun have gotten it to the appropriate temperature of 95-105 depending on the spot.

However, I use a styrofoam back to the tank that she likes to climb on. This gives her access to be very close to the basking bulb, however not to where she could touch it to be burned. But the temperature that close to the light is very hot, around 120 degrees.

So my question is, will she be smart enough to realize it's too hot and not stay that close to the light and instead bask in an appropriate spot. Or will she just sit there anyway and potentially have a heat stroke so I need to eliminate the option for her to get that close?

Thanks in advance.

100521-1678430755.jpg
100521-5083394865.jpg

Picture to better show what I'm trying to explain. I just set it up today, so it's rather basic so far.

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
JKay":9xhwvpgq said:
Hello,

I just recently setup a new tank for my dragon as she's too big for her old one. I'm trying to regulate the basking temperature on this new tank.

I have her old log that she likes to sit on and using a temperature gun have gotten it to the appropriate temperature of 95-105 depending on the spot.

However, I use a styrofoam back to the tank that she likes to climb on. This gives her access to be very close to the basking bulb, however not to where she could touch it to be burned. But the temperature that close to the light is very hot, around 120 degrees.

So my question is, will she be smart enough to realize it's too hot and not stay that close to the light and instead bask in an appropriate spot. Or will she just sit there anyway and potentially have a heat stroke so I need to eliminate the option for her to get that close?

Thanks in advance.

100521-1678430755.jpg
100521-5083394865.jpg

Picture to better show what I'm trying to explain. I just set it up today, so it's rather basic so far.

Yes a beardie will move from the ares if it gets too hot. I would adjust the heat if it continues to the point s/he won't bask at all.

My little guy used to do this and I remeasured(?) the temp and saw it was over 110F... Changed it and now he basks all day (unless he wants to go to a shady area on the hammock) at 109F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom