Will a baby with a twisted tail survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValBCN

I wish I could post a picture right now so you all know hat I'm talking about... Will try later, though.

As I said somewhere else, my female beardie laid eggs last July and they hatched two weeks ago. One of the babies was born with a severe tail deformity (it's twisted like a coil), weak hind legs and a sort of fold in mid abdomen. We call him/her "baby", we though he was going to die right away but he's quite a strong willed thing and he tries to climb, eat and basically do as much as everyone else (although he can't quite catch his food, so I'm feeding him baby dragon food from Exoterra and veg). I just wonder if he'll live long or if he's more likely to die within a few months... just so we know and don't get too upset when that happens...

ValBCN

Original Poster
Here s/he is...
full

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Gorgeous little beardie he is! :D But it does seem if he does survive he might (only might) have a shorter lifespan but it's unclear. He definitely will be a special needs beardie because of his legs and tail though.

and the tail will most likely straighten out more when he grows up so he may just get a less tight little curly piggy tail. I'd give him some extra love and raise him and see how he turns out. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, he can survive and be your special baby. :) Sometimes these kinds of pets touch your heart more than the others. They don't know they're handicapped and if they can eat, get around a bit ,etc., they enjoy life until they get old + sick , which may be sooner than a healthy dragon but only time will tell .

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Indeed, taking care of a special needs beardie is amazing, especially when watching them go from very sick and unhealthy to big, strong, and happy. ?

View media item 60728 This was my special needs beardie Thor, who's handicaps didn't bother him at all. Hopefully your beardie will grow up big and happy. ?

ValBCN

Original Poster
thanks for all the encouragement, he's doing quite well. He eats (crickets) better than other, apparently perfect little dragons, and despite his tendency to fall on his back, he has learned to turn himself over rather quickly -but when he's tired, he just lies there with his hands on his belly, looking extremely cute! So I help him. He's our special little dragon.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Aww, I'm glad he is doing well for you. :) He seems to be enjoying all the love and care from you. :)

I Hope he does well and will grow up to be a big, strong, Healthy dragon. :D

ValBCN

Original Poster
98892-6802358776.jpg
So here's my little one, still growing and getting strong, although he's clearly smller and weaker than the rest, he's also very stubborn and doesn't let anything or anyone stand in his way. He's our favourite!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Aww what a cute little guy! :D

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
This thread has had me going through several different emotions, sad, hopeful and, now glad and, happy.
That little guy is a fighter (a cute one at that), Just keep loving him and, make his life a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom