Wifi enabled thermometer?

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Does anyone have one they can recommend?

Now that I've put Thor's lights in his house, I'm having to back down the wattage. I don't want to fry him or have him hide on the cold side. But I work retail hours, so I don't have a way of checking his temps, and his lights are off when I get home at night. If I can hook a thermometer to my wifi, I can read temps from my phone. That way I know how to adjust his lights.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Does anyone have one they can recommend?

Now that I've put Thor's lights in his house, I'm having to back down the wattage. I don't want to fry him or have him hide on the cold side. But I work retail hours, so I don't have a way of checking his temps, and his lights are off when I get home at night. If I can hook a thermometer to my wifi, I can read temps from my phone. That way I know how to adjust his lights.
You can use a temperature sensor that is used in smart home systems. I find it difficult to recommend any brand to you, because you may have brands available to you and that are not available to me.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You can use a temperature sensor that is used in smart home systems. I find it difficult to recommend any brand to you, because you may have brands available to you and that are not available to me.
Yeah, pretty much everything is available on Amazon. But I was hoping to find one with a probe, so I can nail down his basking temp. I don't want one that gives ambient temp only

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I understand you, but I don’t know anything about models with a probe and Wi-Fi. You can determine the relationship between the measurements of the temperature sensor and the thermometer with a probe, then use only the sensor. if I needed to see the temperature of a thermometer with a probe using the means that I have(just to look and check a couple of times), I would install a web camera that is pointed at the thermometer screen:)

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would do that if I was in a maintenance mode. Once I know his basking temps are fine, I can log all the ambient temps. Then, as long as all his bulbs are on, I should be able to monitor with just knowing the ambient temps. But to set up, I need the probe, since I'm gone by 10 am and get home around 8:30-9 pm, to get the basking temps.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I would do that if I was in a maintenance mode. Once I know his basking temps are fine, I can log all the ambient temps. Then, as long as all his bulbs are on, I should be able to monitor with just knowing the ambient temps. But to set up, I need the probe, since I'm gone by 10 am and get home around 8:30-9 pm, to get the basking temps.
You can switch on the lights by 6am, that should give you a roughly accurate basking temp to meassure by 10am.

Wifi temperature sensors will usually only meassure ambient temps and I personally use them but my dimmer will aim for the cool side to be on point. As long as your basking temp is around the right spot he will be fine.

My basking spot gets up to the 120s and he will sometimes be directly under it and sometimes off to the side. They will find a spot that is comfortable as long as you get up high enough.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Another option would be to get a dimming thermostat for the basking light. I believe some newer models can be controlled remotely, but otherwise you can set it to a specific range and it will automatically dim the basking light as needed to keep the temps around that range. The main thing to note is that these are best for fine tuning rather than any big changes, so you'd want your lighting to be fairly close to begin with. They work really well to account for seasonal temp changes though. Just don't want them dimming the bulb too much or shutting it down completely during cooloff cycles.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom