Why isn't my beardie shedding?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronni1123

He is about 5 months old, and I have had him for about 4 months. He has only shedded once since I got him, and is eating a lot!
He goes through about 600 phoenix worms in one weeks, and eat a mixture of tomatoes, peeled and de-seeded, baby spinach, baby kale, and an assortment of other baby greens.
He has a Reptisun UVB bulb.
100w basking bulb. He can get within 6 inches of both, or even closer if he likes.
He gets reptiboost twice a week for a vitamin supplement, and a boost.
He gets a bath twice a week.
His basking spot is 100-110 degrees.
His cool spot is 80-95 degrees.

I have noticed that he gapes his mouth sometimes, but I've read that it's because he is regulating his body temp.
He get's 12 hours of uvb, and 12 hours of sleep.
I have been trying to sit in the sun with him lately, to give him an extra boost of light vitamins.

But he is just showing NO signs of shedding, except eating a lot.
Should I be concerned?
:/ :?

Kale binds calcium and will not allow your beardie tor grow to his full potential. Also spinach will give him the runs.
Try collard greens, dandelion greens, or mustard greens. Your beardie is young and may not eat it right away. Daenerys is 3-4 months and she snubbs all her greens. :cry:

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Hi, I also would recommend switching up what you're feeding him. Kale and spinach both contain oxalates, which bind to calcium, and tomatoes are very acidic, and not good for beardies. The best staple greens/veggies are dandelion greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, endive, escarole, and squash.This website is a great resource for beardie-safe foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You didn't mention how often you do vitamin supplementation. I'm pretty sure the ReptaBoost isn't a replacement for vitamins. At his age, you should be dusting one feeding a day, 2 days a week with vitamin powder.

Also, your cool side is too hot. It should be no hotter than 85F. The gaping is normal, he's just regulating his body temperature (kind of like a dog panting). Going outside for some real sunshine is great for them! It's way better than what any UVB bulb can offer.

I wouldn't be too worried about him not shedding. My boy has only had a full body shed once since I got him, and he's grown quite a bit. As long as he's eating and growing well, I wouldn't worry :)

Hope that helps!

Ronni1123

Original Poster
bumblebee":1y04v006 said:
Hi, I also would recommend switching up what you're feeding him. Kale and spinach both contain oxalates, which bind to calcium, and tomatoes are very acidic, and not good for beardies. The best staple greens/veggies are dandelion greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, endive, escarole, and squash.This website is a great resource for beardie-safe foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You didn't mention how often you do vitamin supplementation. I'm pretty sure the ReptaBoost isn't a replacement for vitamins. At his age, you should be dusting one feeding a day, 2 days a week with vitamin powder.

Also, your cool side is too hot. It should be no hotter than 85F. The gaping is normal, he's just regulating his body temperature (kind of like a dog panting). Going outside for some real sunshine is great for them! It's way better than what any UVB bulb can offer.

I wouldn't be too worried about him not shedding. My boy has only had a full body shed once since I got him, and he's grown quite a bit. As long as he's eating and growing well, I wouldn't worry :)

Hope that helps!
Okay, thank you very much!
I'll stop feeding him kale and spinach so much, and scratch the tomatoes. He loves his greens.
I'll start also giving him more vitamin supplement. I give him the reptaboost twice a week.
He doesn't seem to be much bigger since I got him. It doesn't seem like he has grown at all, actually...

Are the phoenix worms okay not to dust? It said on the website that you don't need to dust them...

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I don't. I usually feed mine phoenix worms for one me and then I dust the dubia for the second feeding.

bumblebee

Juvie Member
You don't need to dust phoenix worms with calcium because they are naturally high in calcium. You do still need to dust them with multivitamin powder two times a week, though.

You said he doesn't seem like he's growing. Do you know how long he is and how much he weighs? He really should be growing, especially since he seems to be eating well. Have you gotten a fecal exam done to test for parasites? Is his UVB a Repti-sun 10.0 TUBE? And is there anything between him and the UVB bulb (screen, glass, etc.)?

Ronni1123

Original Poster
bumblebee":3gavnsmc said:
You don't need to dust phoenix worms with calcium because they are naturally high in calcium. You do still need to dust them with multivitamin powder two times a week, though.

You said he doesn't seem like he's growing. Do you know how long he is and how much he weighs? He really should be growing, especially since he seems to be eating well. Have you gotten a fecal exam done to test for parasites? Is his UVB a Repti-sun 10.0 TUBE? And is there anything between him and the UVB bulb (screen, glass, etc.)?

He was treated for pinworms, but the doctor said they were not severe.
He is about 12"... and was about 11" when I got him.
I do have that exact UVB tube.
He has a screen lid, because I've read that UVB rays can't travel through anything else.
He just seems to eat and eat and eat.. and he has the biggest poos. But, just seems to stay the same size..

bumblebee

Juvie Member
The screen can block 50% of the UVB rays, so if you could get the UVB bulb mounted inside the tank (or maybe cut the screen so it doesn't block the light) that would help. It could be partially due to the screen blocking the UVB that he's not growing.

You said he's about 5 months old and you've had him for 4 months. 11 inches is really big for a 1 month old. Either way, growing only an inch in 4 months isn't much. When did he have the parasites, and how long ago did he finish the treatment for them? Does he seem like he's getting heavier and just not getting longer?

Ronni1123

Original Poster
bumblebee":1082eh2x said:
The screen can block 50% of the UVB rays, so if you could get the UVB bulb mounted inside the tank (or maybe cut the screen so it doesn't block the light) that would help. It could be partially due to the screen blocking the UVB that he's not growing.

You said he's about 5 months old and you've had him for 4 months. 11 inches is really big for a 1 month old. Either way, growing only an inch in 4 months isn't much. When did he have the parasites, and how long ago did he finish the treatment for them? Does he seem like he's getting heavier and just not getting longer?
I'm sorry, let me correct myself.
He is about 7 months old, and I have had him for 4 months. He is 11-12" and have grown very little.

I just mounted the UVB light on the side of his viv, so hopefully that will help!
He was on the parasite meds once every two weeks. And exactly that, he seems to be getting heavier and not longer.. And I was unable to give him one dose of the meds because they dried up.

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Well that makes a bit more sense :) The parasites and meds are harsh on their systems, so it's understandable that he didn't really grow for a while. I've noticed that beardies seem to grow in spurts, so maybe he'll start growing now that he's put a bit of weight on. Mounting the UVB light inside the viv should definitely help! :D

Ronni1123

Original Poster
bumblebee":3mda34ga said:
Well that makes a bit more sense :) The parasites and meds are harsh on their systems, so it's understandable that he didn't really grow for a while. I've noticed that beardies seem to grow in spurts, so maybe he'll start growing now that he's put a bit of weight on. Mounting the UVB light inside the viv should definitely help! :D

Ahhh, thank you! :D You have been so much help to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom