Why is she doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last day she has started getting frantic at running back and forth against the glass totally wigging out. I thought she wanted snuggle time so i took her out and she pratically tore me up to get back in. Why is she doing this? I was wondering if she is wanting to lay eggs maybe? I have no idea. The girl i got her from never gave me any hints at whether her and Sampson have mated. So what do i do? HELP!!

w0554096

Juvie Member
Is she digging? It does sound like she could be getting ready to lay, however if it's just pacing and nutty behavior, well, it is spring in most places. :)
You could always try giving her a lay box just to see. Have you been able to feel any eggs?
Any appetite change, etc?

broozersfam

Original Poster
She's digging and going bonkers! Her belly is very swollen like a pregnant woman's....what do i use in the box? I am not equipped or ready for babies!

w0554096

Juvie Member
There's lots of options for easy quick layboxes. Some people like to use moistened play sand, some like soil (nothing with fertilizers in it), some use vermiculite, or mixes of any of these. You want to make sure it's moist but not dripping. A plain rubbermaid contain will work fine. You can modify the lid so that she can have privavy, and just clamp a light onto the bin so she doesn't get cold. You'll want the dirt/sand/ whatever you end up using to be fairly deep, probably 8 to 12 inches, press it down a bit so she won't get cave ins.
I've heard about people starting a burrow for the female, so that's an option. They like to dig pretty deep to lay, so just make sure there's enough substrate in there.

If you're not prepared or don't want to deal with all of the babies (they can get extremely expensive) then you can just freeze the eggs. Pooring water directly on them with also suffice, and then just throw them away.

If you decide you do want to keep them, and are financially capable, there are lots of options for incubators. Alot of people seem to like using the Hova-bator, and it's generally priced under 75$. There's also lots of do-it-yourself incubators. You could either look online, or check the DIY sector on this site.

A female can lay multiple clutches from just one mating, so you could expect more eggs a a couple weeks after this clutch has been layed.
I would definately reccomend contacting the girl you got her from and finding out if she WAS mated, and if she's had ay previous clutches. Keep a good diet for her, with lots of calcium, and feed her as much as she wants. Egg making takes alot of out them, and if she was mated and might lay even more clutches, you're going to have to keep her weight and nutrition way up.

Keep us posted, hope this helped.

broozersfam

Original Poster
GOD BLESS YOU!! She swore me up and down she wasn't mated but a week after i got them she started getting fatter. Her appetite has been wild! I knew something was off because she ignored all of her food today even the numerous crickets. I'll let you know how things go.

broozersfam

Original Poster
Is it common for them to freak out when they are put in the nesting box? I put the nesting box inside of her regular cage (as to keep my little ones out of it) I put it on it's side so she has access to it when she's ready....she's still wigging out. Guess i'll shut the door to this room and leave her in peace.

w0554096

Juvie Member
They usually don't like any kind of an audience. Hmm, I'm not sure about the wigging out. exactly how 'wiggy' is she getting? Is it aggression? Panic? Or more pacing and running around? Sometimes if they don't like the laybox, they will tell you...How big is it? Hoe many inches of substrate did you put in?
Hadshe calmed down at all? You may need to tweek things a little if she's not comforble with it.

broozersfam

Original Poster
I left the room for a while and came back and peeked in on her. She was in the box but she's still dancing on the glass, not eating,and running back and forth acting like she wants out. I watched her for a few minutes and when she's running she stops and plops her belly on the bottom of her tank sits still for a few seconds then gets up and starts running again. Weird? I put about 10 inches in the box. It's not very big in length and it's on it's side.

w0554096

Juvie Member
You might want to try a larger box. Maybe a 10-15 gallon rubbermaid or something along those lines and just have it comeplete seperate from her tank. Like I mentionned before, they do tend to like privacy, so you might want to cover the box if it's clear.

Here's an example of an alright lay box, though there could be a heat lamp on there to keep her warmer. I just got the image of google to give you an idea.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=best+laybox+for+bearded+dragon&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbnid=74wvnaFJmjr6YM:&imgrefurl=http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums//viewtopic.php%253Ff%253D49%2526t%253D106019%2526view%253Dnext&ei=lIubTYL5MqmShAeJn5HPBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=635&vpy=74&dur=63&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=167&ty=75&oei=XYubTZySF5KM4QawwO3-Bg&page=1&tbnh=128&tbnw=166&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&biw=1229&bih=541

This really should be moved to the breeding section, as there's probably lots more people there who could help you out.
Keep me posted though!

w0554096

Juvie Member
I forgot. It sounds like regular behavior. Sometimes they can do that for a day or two before laying, however it does look like your girl is pretty ready.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved here from Behavior forum as having it here makes more sense.

broozersfam

Original Poster
Thank you for moving it. She still hasn't "done her thing" as of yet. She is hanging out in the nest box today. Sampson one of our males is still acting like an over sexed hormone ridden teeanger! Hopefully today with it being quiet and the room being off limits she may do something.She still isn't eating and ignoring the tasty plump crickets and her favorite greens which is TOTALLY not like Delilah! Thank you all for the advice. I wish i could get in touch with the lady that gave me these 2 dragons b/c BOY do i have questions for HER!! I'll keep you posted and as soon i get pictures uploaded i'll post them.

w0554096

Juvie Member
Ooo, pictures, Yay!
It all sounds like normal behavior (the not eating, etc).
Yes, I would have some questions too if that happend to me!
Hope everything runs smoothly for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom