Why is my beardie trying to jump out of his tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwall5352

I've had him for almost 2 weeks now, and I've held him multiple times and he is pretty calm in my hands. When I go in the cage he is ok but if I move too quickly he runs and 'glass surfs'.

But the real issue here is I saw him get up to the top of a perch today and attempt to jump out of his cage. There is of course no possibility of him getting out but any idea why he did that/ anything to be worried about?

Thanks!

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
What are your temps and what type of UVB lighting are you using? Sometimes if the temps are off or if the lighting isn't correct they can get stressed and want out. Or if they can see their reflection it can effect them. Or.... he could just be acting like a brat and wants to come out to play. :)

Do you have a lid to make sure he stays in?

jwall5352

Original Poster
DeweysMom":2bjf9b37 said:
What are your temps and what type of UVB lighting are you using? Sometimes if the temps are off or if the lighting is correct they can get stressed and want out. Or if they can see their reflection it can effect them. Or.... he could just be acting like a brat and wants to come out to play. :)

Do you have a lid to make sure he stays in?

The very top of the cage where his perch is highest can get up to 110. And the lower portions can get to maybe 90 degrees fahrenheit

And he won't be getting out with the type of top that is for his cage, it needs to be pulled off, not pushed off.

The type of UVB I'd have to go check shortly.

And yes he can see his reflection D:

dom02

Mine does that when he's shedding. He runs around like crazy when he's shedding and he'll jump off his basking platform and jump at the glass doors in the front, as if he's trying to jump out.

jwall5352

Original Poster
dom02":3ghcggxe said:
Mine does that when he's shedding. He runs around like crazy when he's shedding and he'll jump off his basking platform and jump at the glass doors in the front, as if he's trying to jump out.

When do they normally start shedding? Mine is a baby :3 Just got him ~2 weeks ago.

dom02

I forget when mine started shedding. But I don't think it was too long after I got him. But if that was his issue you wold already notice the shed.

He could just be having fun running around, or like someone else said he may just want to come out and play lol.

Make sure there is nothing in particular wrong with his set up that could stress him out.

Also, since you've only had him for a couple weeks. He may just not be used to his new home yet. Thats all just a guess on my part though.

jwall5352

Original Poster
I'll try to see if there is anything that can stress him out.

Is there some sort of general check list that gets passed around here for people to check?

Thanks!!

jwall5352

Original Poster
I just went and grabbed the box for the UVB light and it says Reptisun 5.0 UVB Item #FS-C5. Not sure if that is the info you needed, let me know if you need more!

jwall5352

Original Poster
I also just went and took him out, of course when I went to grab him he tried to run up the glass but I got him in my hand and he is just EXTREMELY calm. I think he wants to come out.

But he still runs up the glass especially when I go for him. There is also plexiglass in the middle of the tank to make it smaller since this is what the people at the pet store said to do since they don't like traveling far for food when young.. The issue with the glass is that it shows reflections well (if they arent supposed to see reflections then thats an issue, can anyone confirm that?)

dom02

for a checklist you should use the caresheet on this site. I think there's a link to it on the main page. It has a lot of great info about their setup, lighting heat etc.

Sounds like the jumping on the glass isn't to big of a deal, just him either wanting out or attention or just having fun even lol.

For the reflection though, that definitely can be a problem. Mine would get distracted when I tried to feed him and would just stare at his reflection. Or just in general he would spend a lot of time just staring at his reflection. When their little I think it stresses themselves out. So I think what most people recommend is to cover three sides. Petco sells terrarium backgrounds you can use, they stick to the glass. They look pretty cool too, but are a little expensive. You can also find the backgrounds for fish tanks, I used that at first. If you put those backgrounds on the inside of his tank, it'll help stop the reflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom