Why is my beardie so lazy for crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittraff

Okay i know from information from this forum that its not my terrarium thats making him lazy, i have reptile carpet substrate, basking temps at 105, uvb light etc.

Heres the problem: My beardie is the lazyiest dragon ever when it comes to feeding him crickets. Ill release them in his enclosure once all the furniture is removed, and then he will sit in one spot and i have to shoo the crickets in front of his face to get him to eat them. He won't chase them, and once they run by him hes uninterested.

BUT. If i put one waxworm in the viv even across on the other side he like senses it and sprints over there as fast as he can and gobbles it up. Same thing with hornworms.

Why is he being such an uninterested snob to the crickets, but loves worms so much? I've ordered phoenix worms online but i won't be able to get those all the time, so whilst hes eating crickets what can i do to make him more interested in them? Or is he just being a typical dragon?

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
I'm sure he is just being stubborn. Buddy is the same. She's too spoiled and she's knows that eventually I want to put her stuff back in her cage so I will move the crickets towards her. Or get them out and give her something else.
Your guy just must like the other worms more. :wink:

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Same here :)
Spikey actually chases for a minute or so but once she tries to catch one and doesnt get it she gets frustrated and stays in one spot and waits for them.And of course I dont wanna wait an hour or so until they all come to her so I "help" her and flick the crickets towards her.
You could put the crickets in the fridge for a few minutes and then you can dump them in front of him.They'll still twitch but they cant run/jump away to fast so he might get more interested in them because theyre easier to catch. Idk :D

Brittraff

Original Poster
Spikey92":2aq0ogal said:
Same here :)
Spikey actually chases for a minute or so but once she tries to catch one and doesnt get it she gets frustrated and stays in one spot and waits for them.And of course I dont wanna wait an hour or so until they all come to her so I "help" her and flick the crickets towards her.

Sounds exactly like my Eddie haha :) It's kinda funny

Brittraff

Original Poster
StaceysBuddy":2iyiqjde said:
I'm sure he is just being stubborn. Buddy is the same. She's too spoiled and she's knows that eventually I want to put her stuff back in her cage so I will move the crickets towards her. Or get them out and give her something else.

Yeah he knows if he isn't eating any crickets ill freak out and give him some wax worms or something because i don't want him to starve :p

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Frankie did that for a while and I realized he was holding out for waxworms to the point of refusing anything else. I had to completely cut him off from all waxworms. He went hungry for a day and then started eating crickets and supers again. No more waxies for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom