Why is he so small?

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I’ve been posting on here since I got my little guy, and if anyone remembers I probably had a different age each time I talked about him 😂. But at this point I really do believe he’s about a year and one month maybe a year and two. But anyways I feel like he’s just soooo tiny, he is 20 inches long, but he just seems so little to me what do you guys think? (The water bottle is a mini 10 oz one, he ran over to it so I figured that would be a good size reference) I just want to see if maybe he is a little bit of a runt maybe? I feel like all the beardies I see are chubbier and just bigger overall

Attachments

• A2C64A16-E6B1-46AD-AF54-D42C2D067501.jpeg
    A2C64A16-E6B1-46AD-AF54-D42C2D067501.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 105
  • 9D7CCCE7-CAEC-43C0-B0EC-B65470903DA4.jpeg
    9D7CCCE7-CAEC-43C0-B0EC-B65470903DA4.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 18D1E157-1AF0-434D-8CF1-B9258042458C.jpeg
    18D1E157-1AF0-434D-8CF1-B9258042458C.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 104DA33C-09F3-439D-AC79-41AC68760C97.jpeg
    104DA33C-09F3-439D-AC79-41AC68760C97.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 74

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
how much does he weigh? that's a pretty normal length.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
oh yeah, that's totally fine. part of the problem is a lot of dragons are actually overfed and bigger than they should be, so when you compare your dragon to them, yours seems small. the way i think of it is, a runt is only the smallest of the litter, or in our case, clutch. when you get a particular animal out of that environment and compare to others, runt no longer applies. your dragon looks great so i think you're a-ok. that's one chonky tail!

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
oh yeah, that's totally fine. part of the problem is a lot of dragons are actually overfed and bigger than they should be, so when you compare your dragon to them, yours seems small. the way i think of it is, a runt is only the smallest of the litter, or in our case, clutch. when you get a particular animal out of that environment and compare to others, runt no longer applies. your dragon looks great so i think you're a-ok. that's one chonky tail!
Thank you so much! I thought that might be the case, it just was so stuck in my head because I have a good bit of friends with beardies and theirs are all big chonkers 😂

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
they are so gooooooood at getting us stuck in our heads!!! i worry about owners that don't worry.

i had to teach myself to not compare sir henry of scales to other beardies right off the bat. when we rescued him at 6 months old, he was the size of a hatchling, about 8 grams and shorter than my index finger (i have very small hands), full of parasites, and nearly dead. obviously i couldn't compare him to other 6 month olds that had not been maltreated. so the understandable thing to do was to track his progress and compare him to his past. he just turned 3, and is 22 inches and weighed in this morning at 548 grams.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree with hdo, and he looks very good 👍

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I concur, he looks perfectly fine, very healthy! :) He will continue to fill out into his second year.
Plus, they all grow at a little different rate, too.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom