Why do beardies always try to look at the sun?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Every time i take any of my beardies outside he/she will try to stare straight at the sun 🌞. Every one of them do it, what in the world. I either have to sit to where their heads are in the shade(which leaves me chasing the sun with the patio chair) or cover their heads with my hat (which leaves ME looking into the sun 🌞 lol). I don't get it.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Every time i take any of my beardies outside he/she will try to stare straight at the sun 🌞. Every one of them do it, what in the world. I either have to sit to where their heads are in the shade(which leaves me chasing the sun with the patio chair) or cover their heads with my hat (which leaves ME looking into the sun 🌞 lol). I don't get it.
Beebz hasn't been outside yet, but I do notice him staring directly into his basking lamp or uvb coil often. I also feared the goofball will toast his retinas.

Maybe it doesn't bother them? For all I know thier eyes are more resilient than ours. Still wouldn't think it's an advantageous behavior though.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yeah I'm baffled, the only thing i can think of is that maybe they expect birds to try to use the sun to hide them during an attack. I've had 7 total and every one of them does/did it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mine are all adult/near adult, and still do it.
I did find something that Sinatra will fixate on more though...... i have a stuffed bobcat in my 2nd living room and man he HATTTEESS it lol. (For the record i didn't kill it, it was given to us)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I have a theory about this.
Once, I found a research article about perception of the UV-B for bearded dragons.
This article described the research on the extent to which UV penetrated the skin of dragons to produce vitamin D3. Measurements were taken of the degree of UV filtering on the back of the dragon and on the chin and stomach.
So, the top hard layer of the back allows only 3-6% of UV radiation to pass through (protecting them from the strong Australian sun), while the skin on the chin and stomach allows 15-16% of UV radiation to pass through, allowing them to consume UV in the shade.
I think that our dragons turn towards the sun to absorb more UV in their beards, but these are my guesses. But I think it looks like true.

Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Yeah I'm baffled, the only thing i can think of is that maybe they expect birds to try to use the sun to hide them during an attack. I've had 7 total and every one of them does/did it.
This is what I always thought.
Proud to know Rocky does SOMETHING like the other beardies.
#hemaybenormalafterall

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Beebz hasn't been outside yet, but I do notice him staring directly into his basking lamp or uvb coil often. I also feared the goofball will toast his retinas.

Maybe it doesn't bother them? For all I know thier eyes are more resilient than ours. Still wouldn't think it's an advantageous behavior though.
Rocky does this when I forget to turn it on! Or when the temperature was off. Smart beardie!
I have changed the bulb and forgot to switch it on as we headed out or something (this was last year) or turned the basking bulb down and it was 5 degrees off, Rocky looked at the bulb like UMMMMMMMMMMMMm

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
the things we do for our beardies:love:
I've sweated it outfor Rocky a time or two

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
They sure do train us Hoomans well lol πŸ˜†

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Yeah I noticed this too! Whenever Draco's near a window or outside he tilts one side of his head up and uses one of his eyes to stare directly at the sun. It's fun watching him do that and trying to understand what's going thru his little brain hehe

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I keep thinking they are gonna go blind, but it doesn't seem to bother them. Such weird little things lol. 😁

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I took Rocky by a new window and he searched for the sun. He cocked his head up and was all about it!! There's no tricking him!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. πŸ˜”
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom