Why do Bearded dragons lick things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa2713

Hi. I have a bearded dragon nemed Fred. He is about 4 monthes old.
He usaully goes areund his tank, and starts to like things, like his log, his rock, and other decoration.
I know that it isn't bad if he licks things and it's because they "explore" or they like to taste things, but why else do they do it?
He also always looks at his reflection and attacks it, and sort of plays with it. (It's sort of cute!) But when will he learn that it is not a real bearded dragon, just his reflection? :)
Thanks

lisa2713":1m1sqbxs said:
Hi. I have a bearded dragon nemed Fred. He is about 4 monthes old.
He usaully goes areund his tank, and starts to like things, like his log, his rock, and other decoration.
I know that it isn't bad if he licks things and it's because they "explore" or they like to taste things, but why else do they do it?
He also always looks at his reflection and attacks it, and sort of plays with it. (It's sort of cute!) But when will he learn that it is not a real bearded dragon, just his reflection? :)
Thanks

Bearded dragons lick to learn about their environment and learn what stuff is. Similar to how snakes smell the air with their tongue. It's perfectly normal.

My baby Lelu, plays with her reflection as well. As long as their home has all the correct conditions (heat/light etc) it's probably nothing to worry about. Lelu will start attacking the glass when she defecates in her tank, she hates the smell lol so it's my queue to get it out. She also freaked out when I melted some of the plastic on her tank with a heat bulb. If you see him doing it, just check out the tank, make sure nothing is wrong-feces, no water, wrong heat temps, etc etc. I've never had any adult beardie so I don't know if they grow out of it but I think he will. Beardies tend to "calm down" when they get older.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
As the other poster said, he is "smelling" things much like a snake. Bearded dragons have a Jacobson's organ in the roof of their mouth and they lick with their tongue then the forked tips touch the organ in their mouth. It is an efficient way to have a very good sense of smell without having a huge nose. :)

As for him seeing his reflection, most animals do not recognize their reflections as themselves. Dolphins, humans, elephants, and most of the large apes have passed the "mirror test" to determine if they know the image in the mirror is themselves. Most other animals do not have the mental "self" that these animals have and it is usually linked to high intelligence and living in large groups where they must recognize individuals. You can always place some paper on the glass to stop your beardie from attacking the glass if he becomes obsessive with it but every once in a while is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom