Why are people so ewww? Tired of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Okay,

So I love my beardie Ziva and I just love beardies in general. They are one the coolest reptiles I've ever seen. So i've had mixed reactions on my baby girl Ziva. The ones who are really irritating me are the ones who say ewww. How could you possibly say that? You haven't met her, or seen her or even touched her. Ughh. Why are people so put off by bearded dragons? Cause of the the way they look? I mean i i think they are totally cute and interesting, and just awesome.
Is it because they don't have one? and don't get it?
Am i the only one who gets this reaction, when people find out i have a beardie? :?
Sorry for the vent!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I understand the venting but you're preaching to the choir here =). I get the same reaction from some people. I think some folks just think a pet = dog or cat and that's it. They are set in their ways. Some people may have a phobia of lizards for some reason which makes them afraid or grossed out by them (think the same way a lot of folks react to spiders). A lot of it is just ignorance though which is too bad. They're missing out on some of the most interesting animals and best pets around =)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Cooper right, we are the choir! LOL It is their loss if they never experience a bond with a reptile. To them, ignorance is bliss.
I have a keychain with my first dragon on it, & I worked with someone who wouldn't even look a the keychain!

Tracie

I think next time someone ewws your pet... Ask them what type of pet they have. And when they say cat/dog, say EWWW!!! THOSE ARE SO GROSS!!! Always licking/peeing in front of everyone... Give them some food for thought...

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I love this forum! You guys are all so great! I appreciate the responses. I was just so frustrated at the ignorance of people and not even wanting to see her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, it is extremely frustrating! Sometimes you can win them over but a lot of times, not. :D
It is absolutely their loss though.

Tracie

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
What gets me is the friends and family who are totally UNimpressed. I spent A LOT of time and research setting up a proper tank and care for my little guy and the best they can offer is a "meh". I don't even have a tv. My guys tank is my center focal point of the living room because he is that cool.

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
I've gotten similar reactions as well lol. When the days get warmer I take my beardie outside to the park and he'll ride around on his leash on my shoulder. I get a lot of funny looks, and I've even had people move their children to one side of them like they're afraid my 12 inch little thing will suddenly leap off me and attack them. However, I've gotten a lot of positive feedback too, and the most common question is "is it real?" Taking him out can be a great conversation starter and some people get really interested. I don't know, maybe it's just because I live in the city and they've seen weirder, but generally my family and friends think he's pretty cool, or they just stay away from my bedroom. I think it's still pretty fun talking about him/taking him out though, because for every five ewws there's often a neat conversation with someone new who I wouldn't have talked to otherwise.
-Claire

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
We get that reaction sometimes but we get a lot of positive responses and questions about how to take care of them, etc. However, I will let Bill, my other half, tell you about how he responds to some of the best "euuu" responses:

About the Bearded Dragons we've had, they've made great amazingly affectionate, highly intelligent pets, three were awesome, helpful service animals! People at the Forest Service, our church, the health food store, grocery stores & various shops mostly seem to like them! The county we live in is mostly conservative, so the majority of residents like & compliment our cuddly Dragons! However, there is a small minority that totally freak out over them. One line I frequently use is, "If you are so freaked out by these little ones, I have photos of some 4000 lb. Dragons, would you like to see them?" That really gets em! It's so funny! Or, "These are only babies, you should see the big ones!"

About the 4,000 lb. dragons, we have pictures of two of them, one was Goldie, whom we lost almost 3 years ago, and Rosie with small toy quad runners. We have other pictures of them with a quad that is there size. We both have fun with those.

anwyn

haha, yeah we all get that probably. The funny thing is my dragon is so soft and friendly! So I tell them that. It surprises them that Mort likes having her belly and beard stroked.

To be honest I was a bit 'eww' about the bug part before I got her but figured I'd deal with it and incorporate dry food too. Well, it only took about 48 hours to be totally over it. I post a lot of photos of her to Facebook and most people are very surprised how cute she is and how much she likes to be with a person. (not always of course, but shoulder sunbathing trumps any other location of course)

I have super cute photos on my iPad to convince anyone who doubts me. :)

Mort's viv is the central feature in my living room too! And she's going to be the dragon-in-residence at my new art gallery when I'm working there, because there's a super sunny window for her. So hopefully more people can get to know a lizard is nice.

KristenT

Juvie Member
I still get these reactions to Taz. After loosing my first beardie, a rescue, I've gotten to where I take Taz with me wherever I can to show him off and hopefully teach people about them. Pet stores, parks, etc. In the places I frequent the most, the 'regulars' have gotten used to him. Their relaxed attitude does help with 'eawing' noobies to the area, haha. I'm determined to win as many people over as I can though... starting with the kids! :wink:
Some kids are scared of him, but they still congregate around him and think it's pretty cool. People are afraid of what they don't know or aren't used to... and though the 'drama queen' responses DO get pretty annoying (especially when the 'eaww!' is done at a hear drum piercing decibel...), those who are genuinely curious (even if a bit freaked out) who end up learning something, are worth the dramatic reactions! :D

(But, seriously... it's a little beardie, not a gila monster... people really could chill out a bit more about them... )

Desdemona

I haven't had many BD ewwws. I had a snake, which I recently rehomed due to a move coming up, and he got some ewws. I've also had pet rats and mice (yep, I'm weird enough to be able to feed a previous pet species to another pet) and they get ewwws as well. I just shrug, it's their loss. Not everyone will love the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom