Why are my Dubias not producing babies yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nenders

On Memorial day weekend I bought 200 mixed sized dubias and 4-5 additional adult females with a couple adults males. Thus far I have found no newborn babies. I would like any advice on what to try, as I think I am doing everything right. I have been reading this forum for the last couple months. There was a recent similar post, but I can't find it.

They live in a 35 gallon opaque tub with a vented lid. They are in my garage on the cement floor. The garage door is open about half the time. We live in central NC and it has been hot and muggy. I have a human heating pad under one half of the tank. I have it on a setting of 2 out of 3. I have not checked the temperature other than by sticking my hand in it and feeling that it is warm. With recent >95F weather, I was wondering what would happen if they were too hot? But I would think that warmer would be better and it should probably not be much hotter than 110F. They tend to stay in between the egg flats and do not seem to be high or low in them. They also like some paper tubes which lay on the bottom of the tub.

Humidity should be good due to my climate. I always keep a 4" yogurt lid full of water crystals. It is over the unheated side of the tub. The food is next to it. I have been feeding ground dry dog food with some ground oatmeal, a tray of this is always present. They occasionally get some Insecta Load. Every couple days I put in some banana, apple or orange and clean it out the next day. Many have molted since I have had them. I have seen several freshly molted adults.

The tub is sort of near a window, but the sun never comes directly in the window. The lid vents are over one side of the tub. I put the vents over the vertical stack of egg flats. Assuming more darkness over the food would encourage them to come out and eat. The egg flats are vertical, but they lean on each other making it nice and dark between them

I have only fed a couple to my dragon. I check on them only once a day to feed and look for babies. I move each flat and look on and under it for small nymphs. Could I be missing them? There is not my detritus (poop). Could they not like being checked every day?

It has only been 4 and a half weeks. But I figured at least one of my females would have been gravid when I bought them. I got them from someone on Craig's List. How long would you expect to wait for babies?

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
I purchased mine in late May as well and thought the same thing. I purchased 100 large Dubia, so only a few were actually adults by the time I received them. I think it takes some time also....
Just last week, I was excited to see one of my females with her sack out and getting ready to give birth. This was very exciting, as I have also been wondering what I'm doing wrong. I think it just boils down to time to let them get comfortable, mate and produce babies. I have noticed some smaller boogers running around in my bin the last time I changed their fruits, so I'm sure your will be here soon......
I also think that the more you bother them the more they stress about hiding and not producing....I keep mine in a closet and only go in there to change their food and water crystals every couple of days or so.

dmglakewood

Hatchling Member
I've had mine for about 2 months now and still nothing. I have around 150+ adults. I keep their temps at 89-91 degrees. I keep them supplied with water crystals, roach chow and fresh oranges.

The other day I saw 1 female carrying a sack around and look pretty far along. Yesterday I found her and it looks like someone chewed the sack off. That was the only pregnant female I have come across.

However I do notice that the roaches are getting huge now. So maybe what I thought was adults were really on the verge of being adults.

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
I am in the processing of ordering a starter colony. I've heard it takes a lot of patience -- anywhere from 2-4 months before they start breeding enough to be considered established. Correct me if I'm wrong...please...anyone?

Alon93

Hatchling Member
healthybeardie":1w8sj8cr said:
I am in the processing of ordering a starter colony. I've heard it takes a lot of patience -- anywhere from 2-4 months before they start breeding enough to be considered established. Correct me if I'm wrong...please...anyone?

Usually its waiting more then that, depending on how much roaches you bought and how many mouths you are supposed to feed with them.
To make sure they breed as fast as they can make sure you keep them at 95F and don't bother them while they are at their bin.

nenders

Original Poster
OK, so I just need more patience. I'l give them 2 months to start reproducing. I'll also try to only check on them every other day.

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
I just use one human heating pad from CVS. My bin is in a closet, so its dark all the time and they aren't bothered unless they are getting refreshing fruits, water crystals or chow. My heating pad is set to low, this gives me upper 90* temps on the surface of the bin and ample temps within the colony.....
Hope this helps...

nenders

Original Poster
Yes, the heat pad goes under the tub on the outside. I always wonder if I should put something between the pad and the tub. The bottom of the tub is not perfectly flat. So I think if it was on top of something compliant, then the heated pad would mold to the bottom cures of the tub and transfer the heat better.

moose9

Hatchling Member
nenders":2hx81428 said:
We live in central NC and it has been hot and muggy. I have a human heating pad under one half of the tank. I have it on a setting of 2 out of 3. I have not checked the temperature other than by sticking my hand in it and feeling that it is warm. With recent >95F weather, I was wondering what would happen if they were too hot? But I would think that warmer would be better and it should probably not be much hotter than 110F. They tend to stay in between the egg flats and do not seem to be high or low in them. They also like some paper tubes which lay on the bottom of the tub.

I have only fed a couple to my dragon. I check on them only once a day to feed and look for babies. I move each flat and look on and under it for small nymphs. Could I be missing them? There is not my detritus (poop). Could they not like being checked every day?

It has only been 4 and a half weeks. But I figured at least one of my females would have been gravid when I bought them. I got them from someone on Craig's List. How long would you expect to wait for babies?

From my experience, I don't use a heating pad at all. My room temps stay above 75F most of the year. Any one of the following could slow production. To hot (above 92), disturbing colony to often, to many adult males, etc. A freshly molted matured female can take up to 6-8 weeks to produce her first clutch of baby nymphs. After that, about every month under good conditions.

If your going to breed to feed your dragon, then I would suggest a second roach bin. One for your breeders and one for your feeders. Check your breeders just often enough for food and water, no more and they should produce with no problem. You also may want to keep your males at 1 to about 4-5 females. Fewer males seems to increase production.

-Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom