Why are my dubias dying ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

1beardie

Hatchling Member
I just got some 3/4" from the same person you got your adults from. If they start dying ill let you know...

Shaw300

Original Poster
Ok thanks . I got another post on the beardie rescue if u think u could help me put there . Got a lot of questions sorry don't mean to be a bother .

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Sometimes the stress of shipping does them in. They will be alive but don't make it more than a week after shipping. They are small, and we cannot monitor how they are really doing when in colonies like we keep them in. What you are all experiencing sounds very typical in my experience. Just be patient, they are bugs afterall.

Male dubia have much shorter life spans than females (3-6 months after molting, compared to 6-9 months of the female). Male dubia are also territorial, they will fight or combat with other males for open/better breeding area, females, etc. They seem to use more energy in their life compared to females.

Wash your fruits very very well, all fruits, before you put them in there to be eaten. Make sure you are not using any harsh chemicals for cleaning the cage. A weak bleach solution is safe, but dawn has much better emulsive properties to get the greasy urine of the dubia off the cage. (dawn is also very good for cleaning fruits)

I have 15,000+ adult dubia, and lose 50 or so a week.

Shaw300

Original Poster
Thanks DNAdragons. I use dawn to wash their bins , can't remember where I read it but always use it . It works really well and always let it air out a couple days . I have an extra so I always have a clean one for them to go in . Thanks again everyone.

Josh

jewl495

Juvie Member
I didn't buy adults I bought the ones that are weeks away from becoming adults so they shouldn't be at the end of their life cycle at all. I put them in with my breeding colony because I planned on using those to breed with. I also bought 3/4 inch size that are doing great with no die offs

rdoyle

Juvie Member
I had some that died off also, but I think I let my feed bin get to cold. I but a heat pad on them and No died offs

Shaw300

Original Poster
My die offs have dramatically slowed down . I think it was do to old age like all of ya had said . Thanks again for the feed back .

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
The bigger your colony the more exaggerated it makes it out to be lol. I know I'll open up my bin and see a handful and eyeball them at males and be like "Good riddens.." Then my eye will catch a female and I'm always like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Lol.. I'm greedy. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kpurlett
Top Bottom