WHO UNDERSTANDS COLORS AND GENETICS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilla

Hatchling Member
This something i would love too understand but there are not many people too learn from..
I own a "Leucistic X Hypo Pastel" clear nail Female and want to breed her.
My thing is,,i want to know what to breed her with and what colors i will get/bennifit from using different color males..

How the heck do you learn what mixes give you what colors?
Say i breed her with a fire red male what will i get "light pastel red"??

Are there colors i should consider breeding her with?

I have heard if i breed her with a 100% leucistic male i will get some of both her and the males colors in different babies..

What colors are more expensive and why?

I am thinking of selling these so of course and id like too breed the best colors..

Any breeders out there who can help me?

Evin

This is from one of my similar topics.
rottnbull02":c891f said:
You say nice color, but dont really elaborate on what you want. Do you want reds, yellows, or oranges? You also have to know what they are het for as that always plays into it. You need to realize that all dragons will throw out colors that you do not see as they are recessive traits. There is a website that has a great explanation on genetics http://www.vmsherp.com/. They deal mostly with snakes, but the genetic explanation is pretty much the same. You can also email Sean at vms, he is great and will help you understand. While I have not had a clutch yet, I am building up my breeders and quite frequently get confused on how the genetics work. Take your time and be patient. No matter what you will end up with adorable babies. :mrgreen:

Stephanie
Here is some interesting information on colors
http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26667

nilla

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Best response yet!
Thank you;)

My heads spinning more though :study: :banghead:

Well,one step at a time....

As far as clear nails go,,is this more desirable?

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
The more you are "submersed" in the bearded dragon culture/community the more you will learn over the years. It's very similar to learning a new language or learning a science like Chemistry or Physics; you will pick up the "lingo" quickly.

As for breeding recommendations I would pair your girl up with another "clear nailed" male. This pairing will produce all hypo pastels with clear nails... But I always strive to diversify the genetic pool with every breeding while finding a mate that will compliment the colors of the female...

Take care,

Anthony

nilla

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So,,a Hypo pastel,,this can be many different colors correct?

What makes a dragon a hypo pastel?

Wouldnt my best bet be a 100% leucistic male clear nailed?

If i use a hypo pastel the babies would be all hypo pastel het for leucistic?

nilla

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
There really should be a color/genetics catagory here for people to talk and share info..
Suprised no one cares to talk about it?

It seems to me that it would serve many "including myself" more knowledge to better identify and properly name there dragons and help end some of the misnaming going around and confusion,,,hmmmmm?

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
I second that! I'm wanting to get into breeding in a year or so but having a hard time understanding how the whole color thing works...it would be great to have a "color and genetics" on here.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
I also like the idea of a genetics forum and I'll throw another question in the pot. Has anyone started looking at dragon dna to determine lines and breeding? :study: :study: :study:

i would stick to breeding with anather pastel and mabe a translusent wich is really just a more extrem form of pastel so it has evin less dark pigment this are the two newest forms of morph and also the two most exspesive so as for as geting money out of them that would prly be the way to go not only that but if you have a true pastel dragon and you breed with anather pastel are translusent you almost 100 persent sure to have almost all sucssvul morphs and this is one form of morph you can tell for sure right after thay hattch i have seen translusent dragons seal for as much as 400 and pastel for up to 200 but if you do this are if you no how to get any good deals on pastels are trans let me now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom