Who has an Exo-Terra terraruim or knows them? I Need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftster

Hi everyone,

I just opened our new Exo-Terra 36x18x18 Terrarium to use for Caspian...and immediately I realized I have a little problem. Where do I put the lights so they will not melt the plastic crosstop bars on the removable top?? :banghead:

Does anyone have this tank or a similar one that can show me how you set it up? Maybe I am missing something really simple?

I have 2 lamp fixtures, one a Flukers w/dimmer...and one a ZooMed with dimmer. Both are rated for 150 watt bulbs, and they are 8.5" wide. They will not fit between the plastic crossbars on the top. I know I cannot just sit them on top of them or the plastic will melt. But my guess is also that even if I put the lights on a stand, it will still get to hot under the hanging lamp. What about the Light Hood by ExoTerra? But then the UVB is not moutned inside.

Am I going to have to go out and get lamps that are smaller/more narrow? My guess is those do not some with dimmers...

Also, right now I have the Reptisun 10.0 mounted inside his 20g long glass tank, when I move to this one it has a foam rock background to it... has anyone mounted their Reptisun inside WITH that foam rock, or will I have to remove it out completely?

These may be silly questions, but I was so excited about his tank until now... :?

Any thoughts, and expecially pictures, would really be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Michelle

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Hey,
I have that exact tank. We first used it for a snake which is now gone. We had to take the foam back out because it started to melt/burn under the lights. I'd take it out because it doesn't take heat well at all.
I bought the Exoterra fixture for the plastic because the plastic did start to melt. If you're a bit handy or know someone who is, you could always put plywood over the plastic and seal the plywood and that should take the heat pretty well. You could also order a new top from Zilla that will fit well enough without the plastic bars. I know it can be done, but you would have to do a bit of research.
As for the UVB, I'm cutting a hole in the mesh large enough to fit the plug/wire through for the fixture and mounting it inside.

You can always go the no top route if that will work and go with mounts for your light fixtures. But I know that doesn't work for most people(it doesn't work for me because I have a overly curious kitten who has already tried to jump onto the top)

I can't help with the 8.5" domes much, I used to have a 150 watt bulb on a dimmer but swapped it out for a 75 watt, raised the basking spot up, and used a 6" dome.

CountofCasualty is absolutely right about the foam background melting. I had a portion of mine melt from the 150 watt, seems fine with the 75 watt since part of the bulb isn't directed onto the background anymore. If you keep the background in, you may want to think about getting adhesive backed Velcro to make sure it stays standing up.

This is maybe from a month of it being over it, maybe five weeks. It didn't take too much.
img20130329205302.png

As for your UVB tube, I have mine inside a fixture (20" fixture, 18" tube) which is zip-tied three times over the middle crossbar, the screen mesh has enough give to thread them through. I've read a few posts saying people had success with the Zilla 40 gallon breeder top, it seems to be of MUCH sturdier construction too. Just the domes are making the mesh sag, and the UVB fixtures causes a considerable amount despite having it's weight spread out. It also has no cross-bars since it uses a much thicker mesh screen that doesn't have much give. I'm not sure how it would affect opening/closing the front doors though.

Edit: Just picked up one of the Petco 40GB/50G folding screen tops, seems to be of MUCH better construction. It doesn't sit totally flat, but that's negligible. The mesh does NOT seem to bend under weight, but you'd still be having your 8.5" dome sitting on the metal structure.

Kraftster

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for the ideas and info! I will check out the 40G breeder top at Petco. Hopefully that will help! I just dont get why they would
make the top that way when they know people use heat lamps?!?! Maybe I am just missing something... it doesn't make any sense to me... :roll:

I plan on taking the foam backing out... will find a cool background or something...

NikTait

Hatchling Member
Hi Michelle,

I have that exact tank too and use a dome light fixture over the top. I've never had any problem with the plastic melting under the heat. I'm sure it's best to invest in something just to be sure - but in case you had any concerns about using it for the moment, from my experience it is just fine.

Ack

I have this tank and had the same problem. I ended up buying a one-piece mesh top for it. Works great. My uvb tube is mounted inside and I have two dome lights sitting on top of the (new) mesh top.

Kraftster

Original Poster
Thanks! We went to Petco today and brought home a hinged mesh top. It's not quite perfect on top, but does sit there. I may try to find one without the hinge for it and see if it sits better....
Just frustrating since the tank was not cheap to start with...now another $25 on a lid to replace the one it came with! Oh well....

Kriechtier

I faced the same problem, my solution was to built for a few dollars a new top. Got 5mm wire mesh in the right dimensions from the hardware store, 16 pieces of correctly measured flat wood pieces. Then build a wood frame and fixed the wire mesh on it. Then took the second set of wood pieces and affixed them on the other side of that frame. Painted the frame black, looks like it came with it. Advantage: I could use wider mesh which allows for better UVB and light penetration.

The original mesh from exo terra is very tight so a lot of light and UVB will be reflected back. I have the higher version (24"H) of that terrarium and am absolutely happy with it now.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom