Which Worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cocky

Hatchling Member
So the beardies have been munching through the morio worms and decided to look into other worms I could try as they seem to love them so much and still eat staple diet of Locusts.

Have tried wax worms but they did not seem interested maybe due to the size or something (too small)

So which would you choose?

Butterworms
Silkworms
Calci-worms/Phoenix worms

Nikki14

I throw some of everything (butter, silk, super, reti, and wax [occasionally]) all in the same bowl. Buster doesnt like reptiworms and Ember doesnt like silk, but once they get going they seem to get on a roll and gobble everything up. That way I know they're getting a little bit of everything 8)

Tomek

Juvie Member
I do the repti for my little beardie, and butter and hormworms for my larger beardies. I tried the silkies but, I do not like them at all !, they are constantly making webs in their dish and they are all goopy.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I wish hornworms weren't so expensive! My beardie loves them, but they only last a week, so unles I want to spend $60 a month on hornworms, he's beat. Silkworms I tried for the first time this past week, and he liked those, but I agree, they kept spinning webs in the dish. He used to like supers, now won't even look at them. He did suprise me this morning by eating 30 phoenix worms, which he never ate before. I just ordered 200 butterworms, and 1,000 medium supers for both my beardies, and hope he will take to the medium supers better than the large ones.

Tomek

Juvie Member
Its funny, I order my hornworms from Mulberry Farms and they seem to last at least a few weeks for me - sometimes longer, I let them get pretty large and then my beardie gets full one one or two and that is all she will eat all day long. They are very filling for her, I was reading somewhere that one LARGE hornworm was equal to about 13 small crickets. So, her eating one or two a day is just fine. I do have the butter worms and she wont touch those and I just ordered some supers. I am really getting tired of paying so much money for food for my beardies. The repti worms my baby eats, but, they do not last that long, it is getting warm here and they start turning black soon.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I hear you!! I have one beardie that is 11 months old this month, so he is cutting himself back on feeders.. and the other is 8 months and he seems to be slowing down a bit too. The medium supers I just bought cost around $32 with shipping,and they keep for a long time so I am HOPING they last for a couple months. And the butterworms since I only feed occassionally should last me at least 2 months. I don't know how people afford babies. I coudn't afford the crickets to feed them :(

Tomek

Juvie Member
Well, I feed my baby repti worms and NOT crickets, there is so much controversy about crickets and I have three beardies and they started on crickets and two of them got parasites from them. The vet told me that is the worst thing to feed them. The repti worms have as much if not more calcium in them. Although, the repti worms are not cheap either.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I never fed my beardies crickets, as it is a known fact, you have crickets, you will have pinworms. I got both my beardies AFTER they were babies. One I got when he was 7 months, so he was on supers as his staple, he was already 17" and 330 grams when I got him. And my other beardie I bought when he was 5 months old, so I started him on small supers. I have never had a problem with impaction or anything else using supers. Now my 5 mo old is almost 8 months old, and he is graduating to medium supers :eek:)

Tomek

Juvie Member
I am glad to know I am not the only one NOT feeding those nasty crickets. I think I am going to have to start doing the supers myself more often, everything else is really to expensive for me anymore. I have three beardies and could spend a fortune on food. I buy Hornworms and Reptiworms (getting to expensive).

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I know of ALL the controversy here about staple foods. But supers are a great staple, they are inexpensive and last a LONG time (they won't die off quick like most other feeders). My breeder uses them, and I trust her the most out of anyone as she has 15 years of reptile experience, and her oldest Beardie still living is almost 12 years old :p

Tomek

Juvie Member
12 years old, wow!, that is good to know, I also was buying supers for a while, but, my beardie decided he did not like them. I am going to go back to supers, because they are much cheaper than some of the other worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom