Where/what are fat pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I hear them being referred to but not quite sure where they are and what I should be looking for to know he's at healthy weight etc.?
Anyone that knows how to post pics with these spots circled? Would be so appreciated! ?
Thank you!
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hey dee,

Generally people refer to two areas when mentioning them. The base of the top of the head, and the base of the top of the tail. I'll try to take a pic tonight for ya when I get home :)

They are easier to see when they "aren't there" such as in sick or starved dragons.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":245n8vo9 said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bearded+dragon+fat+pads&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiWy-SszPznAhXOIDQIHZ8mD7oQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1024&bih=636
Thanks for that! I can see the differences because it shows both, properly pudgy and sunken. Petey's all good then. ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":cvs491iv said:
Hey dee,

Generally people refer to two areas when mentioning them. The base of the top of the head, and the base of the top of the tail. I'll try to take a pic tonight for ya when I get home :)

They are easier to see when they "aren't there" such as in sick or starved dragons.

-Brandon
Not necessary but thank you. MrSpectrum's link showed me exactly what I was looking for.
Get some rest. Feel better.
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Spent some time on aminoapps.com I think it was. I was concerned that Petey may be a little thin, but considered him slim and healthy. But seeing so many overweight BD'S had me wondering what appropriate weight is.
Glad to see he isn't thin, slightly over what is recommended. No longer worried and plan to continue his current diet of big salads daily and 6 Supers every 3rd day, about twice a week. Was doing 3 every other day but decided on more but less often.
Opinions and suggestions always welcomed. ?
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Petey is about 2.5 or maybe now 2.75 years old. He is an adult. There isn't a right or wrong way, per say, with a small change like 3 bugs every other day to 6 bugs every 3rd day, then the average is the same. It's a benefit he is an adult and you have been working with him on foods and keeping his weight stable. Not seeing problems is usually a good thing.

Personally I like that spacing idea. Gives time for his digestive tract to empty of bugs and fill with plant foods. A fiber clean out of the gut. More people should do that to be honest ?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":22jkqtq6 said:
Petey is about 2.5 or maybe now 2.75 years old. He is an adult. There isn't a right or wrong way, per say, with a small change like 3 bugs every other day to 6 bugs every 3rd day, then the average is the same. It's a benefit he is an adult and you have been working with him on foods and keeping his weight stable. Not seeing problems is usually a good thing.

Personally I like that spacing idea. Gives time for his digestive tract to empty of bugs and fill with plant foods. A fiber clean out of the gut. More people should do that to be honest ?
I agree. He's still getting the same amount of worms each week but more like full meals instead of snacks. Lol. ? As long as he seems good with it, I'm fine. I'd rather him stay slim and trim, he's not skinny and I think it's healthier. I just wasn't sure what appropriate weight was. I don't know how reputable that group was on there but they can't be too bad since they refer people here if they aren't sure or its something urgent. ?
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
It's hard with weight since length, age, and weight distribution all matter together. I've watched a lot of videos online and looked up pics to get a better idea. Going to list things to watch for body health from what I've read/seen.

Fat pads on top of head behind the eyes/above the ears can be slightly squishy not sticking out not sunken in, jowls present but more deflated than full, the stomach viewed from above should not go out past the knees, stomach from the side should not touch the ground at all when dragon is standing or walking, dragon forearms should not be larger than the upper arms/about same width is okay, and base of tail should feel a little squishy/not huge or bulging with a load of excess fat.

Any one thing being off may not be an issue, since dragons can vary in shape a little. Except for the head fat pads. Those being huge or sunken in are a sign something is wrong. Could be diet related or a sign of illness. I'm sure I'm missing some details, this was a quick "jist" of the more important body shape and weight distribution that come up in different resources over and over again

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Hope this helps... (Not meant to be all-inclusive--just a general idea.) :)

df347404a752be5605e43cc72daf4c76.jpg

Full fat pads on the head remind me of a Ferengi... :roll:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm sure I'm just an over protective Dragon mom. ? Being new to the beardie world, I think we worry about a lot of stuff. Better than being nonchalant or having that "he's still alive = he's fine" attitude. I want him to be healthy and happy not just alive, ya know?
Thanks y'all!❤
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":2vvmpgif said:
Better than being nonchalant or having that "he's still alive = he's fine" attitude. I want him to be healthy and happy not just alive, ya know?
Thanks y'all!❤
-Dee
Yeah, I might say something like that ('cuz I'm a horse's patoot), but if I didn't feel the way you do, I wouldn't have built the Taj Mafreakinhal for him, and spend the ungodly amount of money I do on him every month... :laughing6: :lol:

The little asshat...

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2ui7bim8 said:
DragonPete":2ui7bim8 said:
Better than being nonchalant or having that "he's still alive = he's fine" attitude. I want him to be healthy and happy not just alive, ya know?
Thanks y'all!❤
-Dee
Yeah, I might say something like that ('cuz I'm a horse's patoot), but if I didn't feel the way you do, I wouldn't have built the Taj Mafreakinhal for him, and spend the ungodly amount of money I do on him every month... :laughing6: :lol:

The little asshat...
I can So relate! ❤
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom