Where to do humidity readings in the enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiyou

Okay so i've heard that you need to keep the terrarium to 35-40% to keep the bearded dragon healthy, my question is where do i put the probe or sticky thermometer? Should it be put in the back center of the terrarium? or the basking area? because I find the basking spot usually has readings of 10%

Thanks!

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Chiyou":83zhvvyk said:
Okay so i've heard that you need to keep the terrarium to 35-40% to keep the bearded dragon healthy, my question is where do i put the probe or sticky thermometer? Should it be put in the back center of the terrarium? or the basking area? because I find the basking spot usually has readings of 10%

Thanks!
The sticky ones are way off what's ever it's at doesn't work. You need a hygrometer or a digital acurite therometer . Hand it on the ends side and middle I have 3 hydro meters and a acurite I move in and out when I'm curious of a certain spot
10% is too low under 25% can actually dehydrate them

Chiyou

Original Poster
There's no way i can get the basking spot to above 10% (I've tried putting the water dish on the hot side) all my meters are digital, i have the zoomed thermometer humidity gauge and those digital ones you can stick to anywhere in the terrarium, I measure directly at the baking spot and get the 10% measurement . All the resources I've googled have said to measure in the middle back of the terrarium

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes it needs to be in the middle part of the tank- its going to be dryer on the hot side of course cuz the heat is going to dry it out --- does your humidity go up at nite and what does it go to?
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":i5d5fp2k said:
Yes it needs to be in the middle part of the tank
+1. I have a digital hygrometer/thermometer w/probe (actually, all of the digital hygrometers I found were also thermometers) with the probe located in the center of the back wall.

As temperature goes up, humidity goes down, and verse-vica, so it's normal for humidity to rise at night as the temperature drops.

I wouldn't worry about humidity at the basking spot; temperature is the important thing there, and may/will change as a dragon matures--babies/young require hotter basking temps than adults.

I think the humidity range you're shooting for may be unrealistically narrow (i.e. more difficult to maintain). I use a target range of 30%-40% daytime and below 55% nighttime (some sources just say 30% to 55%). I've found this very easy to maintain by including some beardie-safe plants in the enclosure (NOT bio-active) and an occasional (once/twice per week) spritzing if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom