Where do you get your bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJinPgh

So, I've not had much luck getting the basking bulbs from the pet stores (ZooMed, mostly) to last very long. Seems to be a common problem.

I've read where a lot of people use regular household bulbs. So, here's my question. With regular incandescent bulbs quickly disappearing, what kind are you buying and where are you getting them?

I picked up a 100w "replacement" Halogen bulb from Lowes, but it only puts out about 72w and it's not quite reaching the temps I want (low to mid 90s)

Just wondering what people are using.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
I still get ours at WalMart. Just make sure you look for "clear" or "daylight" rather than soft white or reveal bulbs (I can't remember whether bright white is a good option or not - I"m sure someone else will weigh in). I have a variety of wattages because of the fluctuation in temps in our house, so when I need to I can put a 100 watt in and raise the lamp a little, or in the summer I can put in a 60 or 75 and lower it. Our basking lamp is on an adjustable lamp stand that I can raise and lower to adjust the temps, which I couldn't live without!

drakedragon

Juvie Member
TJinPgh":b1pfmk6n said:
So, I've not had much luck getting the basking bulbs from the pet stores (ZooMed, mostly) to last very long. Seems to be a common problem.

I've read where a lot of people use regular household bulbs. So, here's my question. With regular incandescent bulbs quickly disappearing, what kind are you buying and where are you getting them?

I picked up a 100w "replacement" Halogen bulb from Lowes, but it only puts out about 72w and it's not quite reaching the temps I want (low to mid 90s)

Just wondering what people are using.

for my bulbs i use the arcadia 12% for the uvb and a 40 watt house hold light bulb for the basking light, which gets the temps to at least 105. i normally get my uvb lights from ebay and the normal light bulbs from wilkinsons (im from the uk). they also last alot longer than the reptile basking lights. got one once and it went out after a month

TJinPgh

Original Poster
I was in WalMart yesterday. I don't think they had anything bigger than 60 watt for conventional bulbs, and the vast majority of those was the soft white.

I went into Lowes and picked up those 100 watt replacements (72 watt), but I didn't get as much heat off of those as I expected (I'm using a probe type digital thermometer). They are made for work lights... like the trouble lights you buy... so, the glass on those is different than a conventional bulb. May have something to do with why it wasn't getting as hot. Not sure.

I ended up picking up a 2 pack of ZooMed 100 watt basking bulbs. That will obviously work but they don't last long.

Will have to check out Home Depot

I can still get the Halogen flood lamps. Not sure if they'll fit in my lamp enclosure, though. May have to buy another.

Wonder how long it will be before we can't even get those.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I couldn't get the clear house bulbs to get hot enough for me. The halogen flood I have is recessed and has a short neck and fits in my fixture great, I have a new 75 gallon and so I got a 90 watt (I was using a 50watt with my 20L) but I put it on a dimmer to control temps better. It works great. As long as your dome is approved for the wattage then it should be ok for the bulb.

TJinPgh

Original Poster
Mind if I ask where you got them and how much they were?

By recessed, you mean the bulbs for recessed ceiling lights? Or, something like this...

5280a852-0786-45b7-b275-1a7bb6dff3a5_300.jpg

I have the dual mini dome from zoomed which, I believe, is rated up to 160 watts so I should be able to use most anything in it so long as it fits, I would think.

TJinPgh

Original Poster
Ahhh, ok.

I can get those fairly cheap at Home Depot. I may have to just take the fixture with me and see if it fits. If so, then those would be a better deal than what I'm using now and, hopefully, something they aren't planning on phasing out any time soon.

I picked up a chic brooder light from lowes and it works great and was less then 5 bucks, need a deep dome for it though $20 bucks from amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom