where do people get these dumb ideas about dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so this lady comes over to look at my computer i have for sale. she brings her mother and her daughter. and as always peaches is clung to my shirt on my shoulder. the daughter was very intrested in peaches so i was showinger her peaches and offered to let her pet peaches then the mother steps in oh no it takes a highly trained person to handle these dangerous lizards they bite and are highly poisionus. i just stared and said what? :shock: . then we argue back and fourth on how they are not dangerous and not poisionus finaly i said if she was a dangerous poisionus animal would i do this and then kissed peaches on the nose.
i really dont know where anyone would get this idea of a bearded dragon unless they watched the movie holes one too many times.
does this face look dangerous to you?lol.
DSC_0119.jpg

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
One time my bd was on my shirt as I was walking through the store and I had three people point and tell a small child, "Look! That's the one that shoots blood out of his eyes!" And I had several other people talk about it!! I was like ugh, :banghead: so ignorant...

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh come on cant you see the viscious beardie in that photo?I think I even see a little blood dripping from her enormous venomous fangs! :banghead:

There is unfortunately alot of uninfromed people in this world.They still hold tightly to the stigmas that reptiles were labeled with a very long time ago.Thats why its our job to try and expose and educate people so they can see them for the beautiful creatures they are.

cvisions

Hatchling Member
That woman thought your sweet beardie was a Komodo dragon.....that's pretty funny. I would have loved to see the look on her face when you kissed your dragon.

We also have parrots and people make the strangest comments when one of the birds is with us. My favorite is when they ask; "is that real?".

I feel like replying; "No, I'm rehearsing for a part in Pirates of Penzance. I'm trying out this new high-tech animatronic parrot what do you think will it look good on stage?"

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
Original Poster
it was pretty priceless the look on her face when i kissed peaches. it was also funny when i hand fed Ricco a cricket in front of her. she then proceded to tell me about how my pet turtles are disease laiden creatures who are illigal to be sold. and was amazed that i was able to keep mine alive so long as they always die. it was enough to want to make my head explode.

cvisions. we have a blue and gold macaw and know what you mean about the comments on them. we take ours places and hear it all the time. our macaw captain morgan Loves mcdonalds fries so we always take him through the drive through

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Wow. I don't know what I'd do if confronted with that crazy lady! Yikes. Haven't had any experiences like that yet.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
haleygirl272":301c4 said:
vickson420":301c4 said:
Thats why its our job to try and expose and educate people so they can see them for the beautiful creatures they are.

Amen! :headbang:
I'm actually trying to get the staff at my local elementary school to let me bring in my ball python Cu. They started freaking out... no, I wouldn't let any kindergarteners hold Cu, but that's for her safety, not theirs. She wouldn't hurt a fly. Well, I guess she'd hurt a rat, but that's beside the point.

So, yeah, I'm trying to get some schools to let me bring in the reptiles and talk to kids about it. So many people are so ignorant of reptiles! It's depressing. It's like someone who's never eaten chocolate.

beardie1434

Juvie Member
I agree to educating. Both my daughters are in girl scouts and at the begining of the school year I took a position as a co-leader and our service unit had a project where each troop picked a country and one of our 3 troops picked Australia so I brought my beardies in to one of the meetings and took some time to explain about them and the girls loved it, alot more than the moms, lol. I also was stopped by a door greater at Walmart one day because Gabby was inside my jacket and he saw the buldge of her. I proudly opened my jacket and he jumped back about a foot or so and the came a little closer as I explained briefly about her.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
herpfreak":f33f9 said:
So many people are so ignorant of reptiles! It's depressing. It's like someone who's never eaten chocolate.

That's a really good analogy! I used to get stupid comments on Jasper all the time. We would go to the park and every single time someone would ask "Is that real?" No, I just like to take my plastic lizard to the park, why do you ask? :roll: I took him into the mall with me one time (I was on my way to somewhere else and had to stop off and didn't want to leave him in the car) and you'd think I was wearing a cobra wrapped around my neck! A girl at the Jugo Juice actually screamed!!! People at the vet clinic (clients, not the staff members) say stupid things to me all the time too, and not just about my beardie - about my hedgies and my gecko too. I guess if it's not a cat or a dog then people just don't know anything. I do my best to educate people, but there's got to be some intelligence there to begin with! I find the best are little kids. They ask the best questions and soak up information like a sponge. I always carry hand sanitizer with me in case I run into a kid who wants to have a closer look.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
i would love to be able to take gizmo on little trips! it's just too darn cold to take her out of the house! shame! i bet it's loads fun!

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Yep im just waiting for the warmer weather to come and im gonna take the beardies on me and my hubbys walks every evening. Might have to bring a kid along to hold the 3rd beardie lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom