Where can I buy bulk larvae

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiblood

I've got phoenix worms before, and I'm sure they're nutritious... but they just didn't seem cost-effective (he could easily eat two cups in one meal and still have a couple crickets to boot, they're hardly a snack)
I've been looking at horn worms (great lakes horn worms) $10 for 12 horn worms (just for the pleasure of seeing him eat them haha)

I know my dragon can't enjoy eating crickets all day and night, there's got to be some beetle/fly larvae I can get for less than the cost of phoenix worms
(even the mealworms are pricey -at least locally $15 for one 20 count container - I started raising them myself due to the cost)

So tell me, what can I buy in bulk besides crickets? or are they the only cost-effective feeder?

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I used to buy 2000 crickets every 2 weeks to feed my 5. Pretty cheap compaired to other feeders. But they stink and chirp no mater how clean i kept their bins.

demiblood

Original Poster
Well, I can feed him 50 crickets a day for the rest of his life, but he doesn't really seem to like to eat them all the time,

I think I'm going to take a whack at raising some silkworms, buying 1,000 eggs and seeing if I can't farm them myself

runningguy

Hatchling Member
http://www.grubco.com offers fly larvae (maggots) for $7 for 500 or $11 for a thousand. But since maggots are only about 3/4 of an inch long, a full grown superworm, if your dragon is big enough, would be about the same price. At the local Fred Myers/Kroger store I can get 50 maggots for $3 in the fishing section, but I haven't done that because that is more expensive than phoenix worms! I haven't heard of anyone feeding nightcrawlers to dragons. You could try that. I don't know if dragons will eat them or not.

Most on this website will advise you to raise your own roaches or superworms.

mom2twinsplus2

Hatchling Member
First off, I think you need to hunt around for a better source for your feeders...mealworms are only about 3.00 for 100 at Walmart or Petco around here....not the best food for beardies but still...they should not be that costly. You should be able to buy 500.00 superworms for about 20.00...they last a long time in my experience if you are feeding other things as well. My first batch of 500 worms lasted me 2 months or so for 1 dragon. I haven't had luck yet breeding supers but I am hoping one day to get that going. Supers at Petco are about $5 for 100 but I have found that htere is a lot of deaths in the Petco supers...they seem to like to eat eachother. My main feeder of choice is dubia roaches...it costs a lot to get set up especially if you have a baby beardie...but with an adult it is not bad at all. You will need to spend in the 65.00 range to get a sustaining colony going for an adult but much more than that for a baby...IME at least. I bought the 65.00 start up kit from theroachguy and that was great for my one sub-adult beardie...I was feeding out of it right away and all was great. Then I got a 2nd baby beardie, and my colony really just barely if even makes enough for the two of them....I have purchased 15.00 worth of small nymphs (I think it was 150 or so) from theroachguy one for her when I was going away cause it was nice to leave my pet sitter with just a container of the baby nymphs and then I bought the 50.00 500 nymphs plus adults from AFExotics before my last trip for the same reason. I am hoping that my colony will have enough now that I won't need to order more again but who knows. I am also feeding a baby fat tail from my roach colony but she doesn't eat all that much and I offer occasional roaches to my leopard geckos and crested geckos as well but that is just a few a week.

For superworms and mealworms and roaches, thehungrylizard.com has fabulous prices...I will order from them soon, I think, because I am all out of superworms. I am hoping to find a local source first but my local source is not responding to my e-mails at the moment-LOL.

For phoenix worms, I order from phoenixworm.com...my first two orders were fabulous and lasted a long time and seemed to be great quality...my third order was disgusting...smelly and icky and lots of black worms. They were not too concerned about the change in quality when I wrote to ask them about it but I think I am waiting till spring if even then to order again....they are very expensive no matter what. I order the 2 500 ct cups which is reasonable quality for 1-2 bearded dragons.

I want to try some silkworms for the same reason as you...I may try some hornworms as well. I bought an incubator that i guess I will use for hte silks. So far, I haven't motivated to do it yet...they seem like a lot of work and a bit of stress to raise but they are supposed to be really healty for the beardies. I may also wait till spring...my big beardie isn't eating all that much at the moment.

Hope this helps!

Alison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom