When Is Sand Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNProud

Hi all-

I was wondering when sand becomes ok to have in a beardie's tank? My guy is getting pretty big, bigger than my hand. I can post a picture if needed. He was 10 inches long when I got him and I can definitely tell he has grown.

Thanks!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Beardies lick their environment all the time, adult and baby. I don't think there is ever time when you can use sand. Sand in a beardies tank gets poohed on and there is liquid with that pooh and scoop as you might, you will not get it all. Then the waste begins to break down and bacteria start to form leaving your sand littered with bacteria. It would be like living in a kitty litter pan. Since beardies lick their environment they take in the bacteria that can lead to infections and all kinds of problems not to mention it may cause them to be impacted. Regardless of what a few may say, whether it be dirt with bugs seeded into it, or sand..there is a terrible risk that I myself, am not willing to take and impaction and infection are two of those risks. Walnut shells, sand, dirt, topsoil, none of them in my opinion should ever be used. I don't want the risk to my beardies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with this very much. I think it's best to avoid loose substrate in the main enclosure for the reasons Tonja stated. The best substrate is solid, and easy to clean/replace. Ceramic tile works very well. ReptiCarpet is good as long as it's cleaned and replaced regularly. Paper towels will work as well, but aren't the most aesthetically pleasing.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Sand is most like their natural environment, but they can wander for miles in nature, if they choose to. And with they way my guy RUNS deathly afraid of his own poop (even when he is on the lawn in the backyard or in the bathtub) it just seems cruel to keep them enclosed with the wet stuff that comes with poop.
It might be okay to have a small stretch of sand, and if you do decide to do so, you would want to get play sand, and make sure his feeders do not end up jumping around in it, nor his poop..however you are always still taking the chance of him licking it and taking it in.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
KarenInCA":12onbtpt said:
Sand is most like their natural environment

Just to argue a bit, sand is NOT a bearded dragon's natural environment.

Bearded dragons do not live in a "sand desert", they live in a "scrub desert".

Their natural environment is hard-packed clay, rocky soil, and scrub brush. ie Australian Outback.

Usage of sand is not in the dragon's best interest. It might be a little easier, more visually pleasing, for us humans (although I'd argue with the easier if you actually want to keep his tank clean), but it's not a good environment for the dragon.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I agree with soulwind. They don't live on sand. Most people think of desert as sandy dunes like the sahara and its nothing like that. Arid desert has to do with the amount of rainfall as with any desert. You just cannot keep sand, soil or dirt substrates clean.

john6six

One thing to keep in mind, even if they did live on sand, there is a lot going on in nature to balance out bacteria and such that you go to great lengths to keep out of your habitat.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I agree John, with small tanks, the risk of even living bio soils are there. You cannot mimic nature in such a small tank so you do the best you can to keep the tanks clean and protect the animals. I think the key here is they are captive bred and not adapted to the living conditions of their wild counterparts. What is well and fine for wild dragons may not be for captive bred.

jarich

Juvie Member
I agree that sand is not really going to be a good substrate or mimic their natural habitat, though their natural habitat is very broad and they make use of many types of soils and microhabitats. However I would disagree with what is being said about keeping a soil substrate in an enclosure, especially in regards to its benefits, cleanliness and bacteria.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I would use slate tiles, ceramic tiles that are textured, paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner or newspaper although some of it is not asthetically pleasing but does add to ease of clean up unlike sand or soils. Loose substrate harbors bacteria and you don't want your dragon exposed to harmful bacteria of bugs that supposedly keep soil clean..there is always going to be some waste and we don't, on this forum recommend any loose substrates at all.

jarich

Juvie Member
Thank you for the edit.

A bioactive soil actually makes cleaning easier, as 'good' bacteria that are cultured in the soil help, rather than hinder, clean up. That it looks nicer is just an ancillary benefit. ;)

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Soulwind-thanks for the correction, I didn't know that…Ive read that it is like their natural environment. But Im pretty new to BDs, so point well taken.
My main thought was that their domestic environment is not going to be a large area, as it would be in a natural environment, so sand would not be a good idea, regardless.

timisimaginary

Hatchling Member
yes, in nature a bearded dragon can get as far away from its poop as it wants to. in a cage, it is confined with it. while i understand the benefits of a bioactive substrate for some species, i know (based on the size of my own dragon's poop) that it's going to take more than a day for that stuff to break down, be consumed by the soil microorganisms or a cleaner crew, etc. and during that time the dragon will still be exposed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom