Whats wrong with Puff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SexySez

I am so very worried about Puff

He hasn't eaten much over the last few days. He didnt when I first got him and then started eating a bit every other day. I think hes around 6 months old so he should me eating more than that surely. Also he began hiding so I removed his log which he was hiding in and put is some bits of wood he can't hide under. But now hes just laying behind the plastic plant I have. Isn't he too young to be brumating? He has been shedding lately. Hes done his head a couple of leg and part of his tail. Could this be a reason why?

Now I know your going to ask some questions so heres a start.
The basking point is 116 degrees
The cooler side is around 85 degrees
I use a digital thermometer
The basking light is a exo terra 100w sun glo
The strip light is an Arcadia 12% UVB D3 Reptile Lamp
He has reptile sand substrate but is pooing properly when hes eaten so dont think its impaction

What can you suggest???????????

Thanks

Sez x

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Well, My Zinger did this. I got so worried!!!

Just give him baths and love and make sure he eats!!
He is probably trying to brumate. Don't let him.
He should be ok.

tarian

Hatchling Member
I think it's ok to let him hide...he/she is just being a dragon. Just keep offering food and switching it up. Does he mind if you let him out ??? How does he react to you?? I'd give him his log back, but i would periodicaly try and make friends with him to get him to come out. If he is brumating i advise you seek proffessional advice, there is 10 pages under articles on this subject.

SexySez

Original Poster
He seems to spend most of his time hiding though and I never see him bask. I know he needs to get the UVB light to stop him from getting illnesses. I do get him out for short periods of time and just stroke him. My brother is moving out soon so I will be able to use his room as a bit more of a beardy friendly environment to get him out properlly. He does get stress marks when I bother him, usually not when I let him sit on my shoulder but if I try to bath him or the other day I bought him into my room and put him on my bed, he tried to make a run for it, off the side of the bed! Luckily I caught him!

Tatty

Juvie Member
Take him to a vet for a wellness exam. He may be trying to brumate but if he has any parasites or sickness, you definately don't want him to go into brumation. :?

Tatty

tarian

Hatchling Member
good call tatty.. i think having time in a large space with him will help. i always sit by the heat register. he can run hide and climb walls, but he always gets mellow and comes to hang out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would lower the basking temps just a little bit. At 116, that is a little too high. Try lowering it to around a range of 95-110 & see if he wants to bask more. How close is the light to him?
The Arcadia D3 12% is placed directly by the Sun Glo basking light, correct? How close is the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb from him? Can you post a picture of his tank setup for us?
Do you feed him in the tank? If so, does he ingest the sand when he eats?
How do his stools look?
At 6 months of age, he could be slightly slowing down that is not completely unusual for them to do. If you have any caves or hides, go ahead & take them out to help encourage him to bask & see if that helps any.
Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

SexySez

Original Poster
I have taken the log out and put part of the desk I destroyed for the viv to stand on in there, you can see him sat on top of the greens but thats only because I put him there
n509905188_2315874_6089.jpg

I am handling him a lot, he gets stress marks but he spends a lot of time scratching at the glass, so I get him out and sit with him on my lap. Do you think I should leave him be????????

I now have a thermostat so the basking side is around 95f and the cooler side around 75f. He does spend his time hidden behind the peice of wood he is sat on there.

He as eaten a bit, but I recently found if I remove the crickets back legs he seems to want to eat them more! Maybe its their movement?????? But still only a few crickets like 4 in a day

LJean

Extreme Poster
Did this start happening around the time she started shedding?
Calypso is shedding again and is being a grump.

SexySez

Original Poster
Yeah it did, I didnt have him long before that though and think he was still stressing!

He also has a very round patch that looks like he is trying to shed on his belly. He hasnt shedded his body yet

LJean

Extreme Poster
Both my dragons like to shed in pieces. It seems to take forever to fully shed. They are grumpy and eat less when it happens. Oscar will hide more, but Calypso just gets dark and sits on her basking spot. More warm baths help with the shedding. I hope that's all it is.

Oh, I noticed your basking temp is 116? Can you make it more like 110 and see if she wants it a bit cooler?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Ok, how long have the temps been cooler? At first I thought maybe he didn't like the high temps, and now wonder if 1. He doesn't realize yet the temps are down 2. He's mad about the change LOL They can also get grumpy when you change something in their viv.

You moved furniture, changed the temps and he is shedding right around brumation time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom