What's the best substrate for your beardie 1+ years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyshha

Hi , new to this site and wanted everyone's opinion on the best and safest substrate for my male and female dragons . As of now ,they are on crushed walnut shells which I got from my reptile store.. I now know is bad for them . I have done playground sand, reptile sand but I just wanted your opinions on carpet ? I was under the impression that the dragons could get their claws stuck in it . Please let me know what everyone thinks about what would be the best for my dragons !

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have a large enclosure I'd say bioactive substrate is probably best but that takes quite a bit of effort to get started and perfected. It also requires space to build drainage layers so it's not the best option for a lot of enclosures.

I prefer solid substrate for most setups because it's easy to clean and keep sanitized. I use ceramic tile which I can pull out and clean and bake to sanitize. It's cheap and simple. The downside is that the surface is pretty hard. That's not a problem in every case but can be tough on their feet sometimes. I've found that putting some fleece down either as a blanket or as a pile of scraps to burrow in helps provide some relief. The fleece can be thrown in the washer/dryer to clean as needed. Fleece works better when they are trained to poop outside of their tank so it doesn't get soiled frequently.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Crushed Walnut is perhaps the worst possible substrate, so get them off of that ASAP.

Tile, rock, cork are all good solid substrates. Newspaper, paper towels, shelf paper are all good disposable types.

I use a mix of cork and rock.

88641-6431470546.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom