What's happening to Gladstone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! I had a healthy-looking, active, regularly- eating and pooping beardie till this morning. Today he has not moved from his sleeping placer on the floor of his cage, is not interested in even his favorite food and his eyes have been half closed. I just turned off his heat lamp and left the night light and covered his cage as usual. He is 3 years old and has had no problems at all. No impaction-causing stuff on his floor (it's plastic shelf paper) and no change of diet. Took his weekly bath as usual yesterday. I feel helpless. Any ideas? Please someone come up with an idea.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
Yep....brumation! Don't be surprised if he wakes up for a day or so, and goes right back to being lazy the next day!

On the days he is up and active, I would give him a bath to keep him hydrated.

You don't want him to have a full belly and go into brumation...that can lead to paracites.

Mrs. Tiggywinkle

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions that Gladstone is getting ready for brumation. He's had two rounds of this already, 2 years in a row, but both were in late January so I thought this was a bit soon - he woke up in March so it would be only 8 months. After I posted my "urgent" request, I gave him a warm bath and he swam around OK for 25 minutes, went back under the heat and fell asleep. Next day, ate greedily. Today, nothing. I think that's the expected pattern for pre-brumation behavior. Am I right?
By the way, the many-page article on this website on brumation is really good. So glad I read it.

Mrs. Tiggywinkle

Original Poster
I panicked and didn't need to. I should have known since he's had 2 brumations already. Gladstone is "down" totally. Bathtime in a week. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom