Whats Glass dancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So every day around the same time... now.... Lara starts going bonkers in her tank, and trys to climb every side of the glass. If i get close to her thinking she wants to come out she runs to the other side nad looks at me and ill go get her again and she will run again and look at me. no puff no black, just running around so i can't get her. So ill go back to the couch and she will start doing it again. Is this "glass dancing" or is she trying to tell me something else i don't know ?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, that's glass dancing. How are your temps at this time of day? I usually do a round about his time to make sure my "kids" aren't getting to hot. Glass dancing can be a sign their cage is a little warmer than they'd like. They may also want food. Dora also does this when she wants to poo because she hates doing it inside her tank. If you watch your dragon, there's usually some clue about what she wants to be found.

JimnCar70506

Original Poster
well i thought it might be food, so i drop a few crickets in but she jsut sits there staring out the glass and then starts climbing.

Its about 95 under the lamp and about 80 on teh cool side. trying to figure sometthing out that i can build or construct in the tank so that she can climb up it and get closer to the lamps the log she has now is nice and good looking but puts here about 8 - 10 inches away from the lights and i would like to get her closer and if i leave it in there while crickets are in there the crickets find all the cracks and hide.

she ate some none live food today for the first time... she seemed to like strawberrys. She's poo-ed already today, she has a good rythem going so far by my watch, she goes early in the morning, and its usually a once a aday thing ....

just wondering... want to make her happy

SJM

Hatchling Member
Glass-dancing is usually a temperature problem. Your temps should be around 85* cool side, 100-110* basking spot. Do you check the humidity? The best is around 35, it shouldn't get higher than 45. If you watch carefully and offer things to her, you should be able to find out. You could try taking her out (if she's comfortable being handled. if not, leave her be) and see if that alone is enough to calm her down. If it is, something in her tank may need changing (I would clean it in this case) or she may just be seeking attention.

theimmortaljedi

Hatchling Member
I spray my baby down twice a day for 3 minutes becasue I read you should do that? That won't drive up the humidity will it? Also If you take them out at 5oclock for three days in arow and they glass dance on the fourth day at 5 are they able to know that that is the time they have been coming out? Are they physically saying"hey take me out, it;s time?
:?:

peera

Sub-Adult Member
theimmortaljedi":2e47d said:
I spray my baby down twice a day for 3 minutes becasue I read you should do that? That won't drive up the humidity will it? Also If you take them out at 5oclock for three days in arow and they glass dance on the fourth day at 5 are they able to know that that is the time they have been coming out? Are they physically saying"hey take me out, it;s time?
:?:

Generally, spraying inside the tank is not recommended because it does drive up the humidity, and if any of the lights gets wet it could explode, and you REALLY don't want that! A daily bath is a far better way to keep them hydrated, and most of them like it better.

As for knowing it's time to get out, dragons are smart, and if you have a routine they can get into it fairly quickly, so it's possible.

SJM

Hatchling Member
Agreed. Spraying raises the humidity easily, because the mist evaporates into the air in a heartbeat. It's better to get a container (or a bath tub) and fill it up with lukewarm water up to the beardies armpits/shoulders and let them sit in it. They can draw in water through their vent (or some drink during baths) and it's a pretty efficient way to hydrate your beardie. Veggies also do a swell job in that department. I bathe Thor once or twice every week, then let him bask on my window sill to dry off.

theimmortaljedi

Hatchling Member
I bathe Thor once or twice every week, then let him bask on my window sill to dry off.

SO a bath twice a week makes it not needed to spary down daily? She has a water dish boes not drink from it.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, the bathing is fine. Most dragons don't ever learn to drink out of water dishes. In the wild, standing water is stagnant and poison, so they won't drink out of fresh water in a bowl because they don't know the difference.

JimnCar70506

Original Poster
SJM":354b5 said:
Glass-dancing is usually a temperature problem. Your temps should be around 85* cool side, 100-110* basking spot. Do you check the humidity? The best is around 35, it shouldn't get higher than 45. If you watch carefully and offer things to her, you should be able to find out. You could try taking her out (if she's comfortable being handled. if not, leave her be) and see if that alone is enough to calm her down. If it is, something in her tank may need changing (I would clean it in this case) or she may just be seeking attention.

Yeah i checked all my temps went out and got a dig. with probe, and i put it on her basking spot for about an hour, and it was lower then i expected it to be, so i made some adjustments so that she could get closer to her light and warmer, it went from low 90's to 106, but then she didn't want anything to do with getting up higher to the warmer spots, she just seems to like to bask in the mid 90's and then proceeds to do things like open her mouth while basking which would mean she is getting over heated. She didn't like getting up higher to the warmer spot and the way i had the tank set up to get her higher, just didnt' seem right to me, so i moved it back the way it was, and again she went right back to basking every day in her favorite spot... mid 90's.

Cool side is 80 - 82 and humidity is under control, i don't have a humidity gauge, but i don't think its overly humid. She eats pretty well, est. 15 - 30 large crickets a day, and still trying to figure out what she likes when it comes to greens, but has nomnom'ed down both bowls of chopped strawberry's ive given her and she seems to really like waxworms, but i don't give her them often or alot when i do. Poo's once to twice a day, and daily baths.

I really want to move her into a bigger tank soon and im on the look out for a garage sale special or some1 getting rid of one. I found a craigslist for 110gal for 50 bucks and i think im going to move her into that if it checks out right. to give her a little more room. We take her out and handle her at least once a day, and she is starting to get really attatched to me i feel. I think it might just be her signal that she wants to get out and play, cause she does it mid day at the same time, and she does it for a little right after i put her back after romping around the living room.

Like i said, i was just wondering if there was an actual meaning behind it, or if it was something that they just did, want to make her happy.

Thanks,
Lara's Slave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom