What UVB do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Everybody suggest Zoo Med Reptisun 10 tube, but I live in BC and nobody sells Zoo Med Reptisun. They do sell a lot of Exo Terra Reptiglo 10 tubes. Does anyone use these, and if you use Zoo Med Reptisun where do you buy them? One other question what size are your 36 inch or 48 inch tubes (T8, T10, any T12's out there)?

doudare

I use Zoo Med 5.0 36", not to sure what the "T" measures are for but I think its a T12..?
I have bought a ReptiGlo 2.0 and my son told me that it was not strong enough. I will use it in the event of an emergency.
There recently was a reptile expo here so I bought a MegaRay.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
I use the Reptisun 10.0, I had the reptiglo 10.0 and everyone was against using that one. When I changed over I saw a HUGE improvement in him...More active ...better colors...eating better...so yea I would suggest it also.

doudare

That is good to know. I had read about the eye problems with the reptiglo.
Since starting to use the MegaRay I haven't noticed any significant changes.
I am going to get the Reptaid when the next good paycheck comes.

Evin

MegaRAY MVB - :headbang: u get it online... the best bulb u can ever get for your beardie (IMO)

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Evin":673fa said:
MegaRAY MVB - :headbang: u get it online... the best bulb u can ever get for your beardie (IMO)

Yeah, I know MVB are far better. Just to get my beardie up to the recommended height for the tube UVB took some fancy creativity. I basically built a half, Mayan Pyramid. However, I cannot use MVB, because in the summer the house gets way over 90 Fahrenheit for a few weeks an we do not have air conditioning. So during those time periods I wanted to still provide UVB, without all the heat. Although MVB would work for most of the year, between October to March(today is extremely cold at 10 Fahrenheit), but I am not sure if I want to run two separate systems, although the cost would not be that much, basically just the lamp and the base. It may be beneficial to switch the systems during the year. Hmmm, but I'm not sure.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
doudare":1a5fe said:
So in the summer when it gets to hot what system do you have going? Just UVB?

Yeah, to be honest I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this. It will be my first summer with the dragon. I have heard conflicting suggestions, leaving the basking light off, and should leave it on. I think what I might do is turn the basking light off (or dim it considerably), leave the UVB on and take the dragon outside for a couple hours in the natural sunshine. I may also run small fans on top of the wire mesh one running cool in, one exhausting hot out. This is the original link in regard to summer heat if you are interested.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100007&hilit=

Seven65

Juvie Member
I also used a reptiglo 10 for a bit, due to ignorance. I bought a reptisun 10 online it's kinda costly. I've looked in powell river (where I live), Courtenay, Duncan, Naniamo, and Victoria and I haven't found anywhere that sells reptisun. From what I hear, if you're stuck using a retpiglo bulb get a 5.0 or a 8.0 and as said before the megaray mvb is a good choice, but you need some extra space for it.

tyryce

Hatchling Member
I also could not get the Reptisun 10.0 here. You can get the Reptisun 5.0 but not the 10.0. I had to order mine by calling Petsmart in the states from their order number on their website and they shipped it to me from the states to Canada. It took about a week and a half and cost me in total of about 74 dollars (that includes shipping).

Seven65

Juvie Member
tyryce":c86b1 said:
I also could not get the Reptisun 10.0 here. You can get the Reptisun 5.0 but not the 10.0. I had to order mine by calling Petsmart in the states from their order number on their website and they shipped it to me from the states to Canada. It took about a week and a half and cost me in total of about 74 dollars (that includes shipping).
http://www.petsandponds.com/en/reptile-supplies/c194883/index.html I'm pretty sure that's where i got mine and after shipping it was something like $54. I live on the coast of BC. Hopefully that helps you. $70 is a lot, well so is 50, but it's better than 70...

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Seven65":a00d8 said:
tyryce":a00d8 said:
http://www.petsandponds.com/en/reptile-supplies/c194883/index.html I'm pretty sure that's where i got mine and after shipping it was something like $54. I live on the coast of BC. Hopefully that helps you. $70 is a lot, well so is 50, but it's better than 70...

I swear by Pets and Ponds, too!!! I ordered two 48 inch Reptisuns, each costs 34.99, then it was 9.99 for shipping. So grand total was around 80 bucks, divided by two 40 bucks each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom