What to do with Basil's tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
So now that my beardie has passed, what should I do with his tank?

I'd like to get another dragon sometime, but should I replace the reptile carpet, and clean the tank?

I have a brand new uv light that I got just a few days before Basil died, should I still use it if I get another dragon?

Also, would that huge forty galleon breeder be too big for a baby bearded dragon?

I don't have the smaller tank anymore :(

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks.

But what about the lights?

It will be in the springtime when I get a new one, will the heat and uv lights still be good then?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The lights wear out from use so if they aren't on or used during the mean time they will still be fine.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I stored the lights (still good later if they aren't run) and furniture and posted photos of my dragons. When time came to adopt a new dragon I gave everything a good steam clean, set up and tested the lights, and everything was ready to go with addition of some new stuff and upgrades. A 40g breeder will give a small dragon plenty of room to roam around and explore.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks everyone :)

I really had fun taking care of Basil, and even though I'm sad he died, I do want to have another one!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There's no rush. Wait for the right opportunity. You'll know when it arrives and you'll have a nice home ready to go.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2afbwfdx said:
There's no rush. Wait for the right opportunity. You'll know when it arrives and you'll have a nice home ready to go.

Yeah, I'm going to wait for spring!

That way, I don't have to take a little lizard through the cold!

By the way, should I leave the tank alone, (besides cleaning it) Or take the lights down and put them away?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's up to you. I put the lights into boxes partly to get them out of the way and partly because I was sad and wanted to put the furniture and lights out of sight and build a collage. It won't hurt to leave them in place though.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
You need to sanitize the cage. I would consider getting a necropsy done to determine what killed your lizard. In any event, I would not reuse any carpets and would buy new basking platforms and feeding dishes and bathing tubs. As potential prey items dragons, like birds, are good at hiding illness. Anytime you see behavior out of the norm you should seek professional medical advice from a vet who is familiar with reptiles. When you get your new dragon, let him settle in and then take him to the vet for a wellness exam. I would suggest a dragon around 10 inches or more since a dragon that size should already be a good eater and can withstand parasite treatment better. Sorry for your loss.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'll see about the necropsy tomorrow! Or is that too late?

Theres evidence that him and all his siblings where the result of over breeding!

Basil outlived all his siblings!

When they where two years old, Basil was at his height, but a relative of the same age looked really bad!

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Put him in the refrigerator. I had to do that with a cat. Place him in a bag and refrigerate him. You'll need to check first thing in the morning to see if the vet can make arrangements for a necropsy. Some vets will do it themselves, others send off.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":1f4yicgi said:
Put him in the refrigerator. I had to do that with a cat. Place him in a bag and refrigerate him. You'll need to check first thing in the morning to see if the vet can make arrangements for a necropsy. Some vets will do it themselves, others send off.

I don't think my mom would like that very much!

He's in the basement now, it cold down there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom