What set up do I need for my roaches? Not Breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
All right, so I'm getting dubia roaches along with my dragon, and am not sure what the set up would be. I have read many websites, but they all talk about breeding. I understand that dubia roaches are better as breeders because they are more expensive, but my parents flat out refuse to let me breed them. I've given them every reason to let me breed them but no luck. I guess they just have a vendetta against anything called a roach. So, I'm left with a problem. I'm not breeding them, and am unsure of the proper set up. I don't want anything too fancy or expensive. I have loads of questions.
1. A lot websites say to keep them heated, to help with breeding. Do I still need a CHE? My room temps are usually 70-75, maybe sometimes 65 but not usually.
2. I don't know what size to house them in. I'm probably going to get a plastic tub from Home Depot, but am unsure how big it should be. I'm going to get them weekly, and don't know how many I'll need. I will also occasionally feed him crickets in a cardboard box. This is pretty much so he will have some exercise chasing them (I'll use dubias for this too but they are slower).
3. How big do you recommend for a week's supply of roaches (currently using nymphs)?
4. How often and how much do you have to feed them? I am going to use left over salad veggies and bran. When I run out I'll use dog food as back up (I know it's not great for them but it will only be occasionally).
5. I am getting Fluker's Orange Cube, can I use this for them too?
6. How do I ventilate? I really don't want to buy a load of screen. I am cutting a hole out of my screen top to allow UVB in. It will be about 1x18. Is this large enough? Is there any other way to ventilate?
7. Lastly, what should I use for hides? I thought about cardboard egg cartons, but I don't need eggs right now and will probably get some cartons in a week. For now I think I will use cardboard paper towel tubes.
Thanks! Advice/critique is appreciated!

Pushkin

Juvie Member
I'm with you (or maybe with your parents) on the breeding - I ordered some adult dubias, and those things were almost 3 inches long! I couldn't even touch them!

I buy 7/8 inch dubia for my 18 inch dragon - I keep them in a rubbermaid with holes punched in the lid. I have some egg crate lined up and I feed them carrots, mostly. Because I'm just feeding them off, and Pushkin eats about 500 in 3 weeks, I don't worry about doing anything fancy! I have mine outside in a shed while it's warm - in the winter, I'll bring them inside.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have no trouble keeping my feeders in a large critter keeper with egg crates and fresh veggies, they are in my living room with not additional heat or anything. I've been doing that for two years now, and very few deaths. I don't keep too many, but a XL critter keeper would probably be good for more. Our house temps are similar 68-74.

I feed veggies, I give a little bit so it doesn't rot, and top it off if they eat it all. Since I don't have many a little goes along way for food. Squash keeps incredibly well in the fridge and my roaches love it. I cut off chunks from one end and wrap it in plastic until I need another chunk. I always have greens for the dragon, so I always have roach food too. Dog food will work in a pinch but isn't a good gutload - alfalfa pellets are cheep and would make a better backup IMO. Whatever you use to feed your roaches will be going into your dragon next, so think about feeding them things that you want your dragon eating.

Flukers orange cube shouldn't be relied on for anything but moisture. There are cheeper water crystals out there, but if you use fresh veggies and add carrot or potato or apple etc you won't need crystals. You can use it with your roaches, but not expect it to "gut load" or be food for them or your crickets.

Tube rolls, egg crates, even crushed up newspaper would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom