What material to use for floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're building Po a new viv from this guy here!

5036813656_42c4b74369_b.jpg

In efforts to be creative, we found a hutch that we stripped down and cleaned up. We have the original glass doors that we plan on using, and were going to enclose the top and back with some kind of screen like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Wind...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

We plan on using the bottom 'row' as storage, and Po will roam the top two 'rows'. I'm wondering what to use as a floor to create the levels. Wood would be the easiest answer, but it absorbs moisture so when she poops, it will go through the repti-carpet and seep into the wood. What kind of material would anyone suggest that is easy to cut and use, sturdy, and won't absorb moisture?

Thanks for the suggestions!

cadjockey

Personally I just caulked all the joints and applied a waterproof children's paint...it is a paint meant for toys. I figured that this should be safe for pets if it is good for children's toys. It is glossy and cleans up really easy.

I then applied those self adhesive vinyl tiles to the surface for aesthetic purposes. I know the last time I suggested these tiles on a post, I got comments about the adhesive letting off fumes, etc. Well it has been more than 1 year since I did it and Harold is not dead or mutated. :blob8:
I find these tiles nice because it is an easy wipe off and I have never had to replace one yet. My viv is 4'x2'x 5' high (Harold's mansion) and I wanted to eventually find the 'right' ceramic tile to install. I did the self adhesive ones as a temporary solution and I have found them ideal. The nice part is I can change the pattern if I wanted to with minimal cost and mess. Right now I have a brown stone like pattern.

I don't know if I will ever find my ideal tile but for now I recommend the sticky tiles. I think I paid under a dollar for a 12x12 tile.

Because my viv is so big, I have two lamps (75W and 150W) in it.My lowest lamp (75W) is approximately 14" from the tile and there isn't even a colour change to the tile after one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom