What material to use for a lay box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
I've read on here that when a female dragon comes out of brumation she may be getting ready for egg laying. I want to get the jump on it since my Moya is sleeping away for 5 weeks now. What dirt/sand or what ever do I prep for her? I've got some dirt with peat in it, no chemicals, can that be used, or something else. I've looked at different potting soils and all of the ones I've looked at either have fertilizer or some chemical in it. I know not to use that. What can I safely use for her?
Amanda

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just regular sand or play sand? Does it need to be kiln dried to kill bacteria? I'm looking up coco coir since I'm not familial with it. I'm not breeding her so not keeping the eggs but want her comfortable to lay. Thanks for your reply!
Amanda

Are you talking about a nesting box?I went to the store and purchased a see through Rubbermaid and put a six inch layer of Eco earth and when my female beardie started digging I put her in the box and put a light above her and within about an hour she laid her eggs.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
gmarin1107":3aygsy6i said:
Are you talking about a nesting box?I went to the store and purchased a see through Rubbermaid and put a six inch layer of Eco earth and when my female beardie started digging I put her in the box and put a light above her and within about an hour she laid her eggs.
Hi,
Yes, a nesting box and the material in it, too. Nesting box.....sounds so much better than lay box... :lol: .Your idea sounds great for the container. I'll be checking on Eco earth too. Thanks!
Amanda

If you happen to catch her laying the eggs you might want to remove her after she's done my beardie smashed a couple of her eggs accidently while trying to bury them. Also after she lays her eggs don't get rid of nesting box and Eco earth she could lay more within 20 days or so.Your female is going need to more calcium than usual to replenish what she lost.

If you any other question I'll be glad to help if I can

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much! . These 2 are my first beardies, rescues, my male Talon and my female Moya. She went into full brumation about mid November. I've been checking on her and giving her weekly hydration baths with an hour bask to dry, then back to sleep for another week. She seemed fine. No weight loss, lookin' good. Last week when I checked her over, weighed her and did a body check I found a tiny spot of fungus on her beard. I wanted to treat it daily but wasn't sure how to go about it since she was in brumation. I took her to the vet. He said to wake her daily for the antifungal bath and cream, bask her dry for about an hour and let her go back to sleep, kind of a semi-brumation. So that's where we are now. Semi-brumation. But I'm thinking when she does wake up herself I want to be at least a bit prepared for her to lay eggs.:shock: I most probably will have lots of questions and I appreciate the help.
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom