What made you decide to own a bearded dragon ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldhearted

Hatchling Member
I thought that me saying I never liked reptiles was going to sound bad...I did have a turtle growing up....Ive never ever liked snakes, lizards freaked me out because they can just jam and they move so quick!.

Well my darling husband was bugging me about wanting a scaly friend...and i was completely against getting a snake. He was leaving to basic training and would be gone for most of a year. I told him i was morally opposed to feeding a fellow mammal to a snake, even if i hated rodents i didn't want them to die. I told him he would have to choose another type of reptile. So we went to the local reptile room which is exclusive in reptiles. I told him that he had to look for something easy to take care of and easy to feed. So when we get there there were these lil baby critters that were cute as buttons...and i recognized them as bearded dragons (my former roommate had one...which she didnt take care of well AT ALL) so i said to him "you can have as many bearded dragons as you want as long as you dont get any snakes or monitors"

So here I am with three babies 3 months later. Crickets arent as gross as they used to be and watching them being gobbled up doesnt bother me at all :)

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Wow...how can I make this sound okay without getting mobbed by other people who have bearded dragons?

I had bred (unintentionally) box turtles for a number of years since I was about five (I no longer have them now, but that is a different story unto itself), and I had always wanted a lizard. So, as a "starter lizard", I caught a five-lined skink in our garage. I kept it for about a year before releasing it back into the wild. At seven I started going to reptile shows and so, when I was ten, I went to my fourth reptile show with my mom (a first for her). I was going to get a day gecko, I will not lie, but I just didn't trust the seller, and being ten, I wanted something I could pick up and handle, thus, I got Shenron from a breeder after my mom haggled to buy him for $45 instead of $55 (which the seller agreed to). I had done no prior research and got him on a whim (a bad move, I know). Shenron is almost nine now, and how I have managed to keep him alive for that long after many mistakes still surprises even me.

He was an active baby when I got him, and now he is a cranky old man, still going strong! :D

ldvictor

I grew up catching and housing all sorts of reptiles and amphibians, so when my 9yo daughter expressed an interest in owning a bearded dragon I encouraged her.

ldvictor

DragonsInKansas":2d55a said:
Haha, way to use your daughter to get what you want. That's awesome :mrgreen:

HA! It is more mine that hers now, but that is more to do with a youngsters lack of initiative when it comes to taking care of pets. :mrgreen:

montanamisfits

I am an adict too. . . I got one and someone laughed at me. . Said we only have 1. .

I got a dog that I wnated and then another one. . . We put one of the dogs down due to an injury. . My husband said he wanted a dragon. .I said ewwwwww. . No way. . He asked and asked and asked and we found one on craigslist with a few dishes, 10 gallon tanks. . rocks and stick for $40. . So I said OK. .. He was not handled alot so he was fisty. . We got another dog and then was in getting crickets for one Dozer and saw some hatchlings.. We bought two (they do so much better in pairs or so i was told) Tango and Cash. . Dozer was needing a mate though or so i was told. . Well today we got a female buddy for Dozer--a red one named approiately Red. . I handle her and the "babies" and Dozer is adjusting to the roomate--LOL.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
Beardies and "roommates" turn out very badly. That's how tails and fingers get lost. Bearded dragons do not like having roommates. You really need to separate them ASAP.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
i agree. I wanted a roomate for MJ but after reading all the horrible posts... no thanks i dont want a missing toe or tail beardie. Although i'd rescue one in that condition.. but i wouldnt b able to live with the guilt if I was the cause

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Rachella":c9822 said:
My BF is allergic to anything with fur and feathers, so we needed a reptile. 'Nuff said. :p Haha :love5:
Only under those circumstances can you actually be THANKFUL for allergies :wink:

Rachella

Juvie Member
Neromom39":eaa72 said:
Only under those circumstances can you actually be THANKFUL for allergies :wink:

Haha yup! Allllthoouuuggh I'm trying to talk him into a bird. xD Maybe it won't be so bad, and lately he's talking about suffering his allergies for a min-pin dog. ^_^

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
I have two min pins and they are wonderful, but do they ever shed. The hair is EVERYWHERE :twisted: Also, my mother breeds birds and they have dander so you may want to take him to a pet store to make sure he is not allergic to those too.

Rachella

Juvie Member
VEGASLIZARD":0fc27 said:
I have two min pins and they are wonderful, but do they ever shed. The hair is EVERYWHERE :twisted: Also, my mother breeds birds and they have dander so you may want to take him to a pet store to make sure he is not allergic to those too.

Haha! xD His brother has two of them and my BF loves them to death. But that's his choice for a min-pin if we ever did get one. :p I like them too but it'd be his decision.

As for birds, yeah he's allergic to their dander as well. I'm just trying to talk him into suffering so I can have one. ^_^ I'd reaaaaaally like to get a caique, but considering they're so expensive I'm hoping to get a conure. The only problem is I've heard they're noisy. :x Course I guess all birds are noisy. Not to mention I have no idea how Dude and Girl would react to a bird. :p

OHHH weellll. Maybe some day~ :love10:

albitjerz

Hatchling Member
Im prity shure the dragon decided to own me and not the other way around. Actuly though I go to a realy cool chirch and we have a forth of Juily party every year one of the attractions we have is a peting zoo. A new friend of mine was hosting the reptile section of the zoo. I offerd to help out for a copple hours with hur snakes and lizzards. One of the beardies was so prity and she had just had babies (wich were in a tank). I wached them and peted the ma ma and got realy HOOKED on them. I tryed to leave and go see my husband sevral times to tell him about the wonderful new pets I had decoverd. I had a lot of troble leaving them and going to find my husband who, was not thrilled with me bringing home anuther pet,we have sevral. With out to much effort I convinced him to let me have one beardie (a big step for him) So I talked to my friend and told hur I realy wanted a beardie. She sugested I take a juvnile she had at home who realy needed a home becuse a litter mate had biten off the end of his tail. I espesly liked this idea of a "disabled" dragon who needed me. I have disabilities myself so this would be a MACH. She gave me a grate deal on him and I mean that in menny more ways than money. SO we brought him home and named him puff (Ya I know real manly name). My husband? well, he lernd realy fast to love Puff as much as I do......now we are hooked and the dragon owns us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom