What locusts like?

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I would like to know what locusts like and what you feed them.
I buy locusts from time to time and they live in my container for some time. I always fed her arugula, carrots and apples, and also always put a drinking bowl with water. The locusts ate very little and were "sad". Yesterday I tried putting bok choy leaves. They attacked these leaves and ate both the green part and the white part in half an hour, like piranhas. I realized that I didn’t know at all about what they liked from food. Does anyone have any more advice? Because I don't always have bok choy on hand.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I buy locusts from time to time and they live in my container for some time. I always fed her arugula, carrots and apples, and also always put a drinking bowl with water. The locusts ate very little and were "sad". Yesterday I tried putting bok choy leaves. They attacked these leaves and ate both the green part and the white part in half an hour, like piranhas. I realized that I didn’t know at all about what they liked from food. Does anyone have any more advice? Because I don't always have bok choy on hand.
I have no idea what those are never heard of them.....so I don't know 😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm assuming what you are calling locust we call grasshoppers. I don't know the extent of their diet but from what I've seen around the farm growing up, they ate the leafy stuff in the garden first.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I'm assuming what you are calling locust we call grasshoppers. I don't know the extent of their diet but from what I've seen around the farm growing up, they ate the leafy stuff in the garden first.
1709135061633.jpg

I did a little searching on the Internet, it seems there is a difference between these insects. I have exactly the ones on the right in the picture. and they are quite large, I think 2-2.5 inches

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
IMG_20240113_120040.jpg

Here is a pic of one of my females with her first offspring ;)
Mine get oats in a small bowl that I fill up weekly as it emptys. They like romana salad, they like kale, they don't need water as they get most of it from food....what else?!?....They usually like fore gras-like and green plants. But mine don't like rocket for some reason...

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 87743
I did a little searching on the Internet, it seems there is a difference between these insects. I have exactly the ones on the right in the picture. and they are quite large, I think 2-2.5 inches
Ok, we have both varieties but just lump them all as grasshoppers lol.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
View attachment 87744
Here is a pic of one of my females with her first offspring ;)
Mine get oats in a small bowl that I fill up weekly as it emptys. They like romana salad, they like kale, they don't need water as they get most of it from food....what else?!?....They usually like fore gras-like and green plants. But mine don't like rocket for some reason...
Cool! You manage to breed them! I only have time for roaches. 🤪
By the way, they look a little different for me, tomorrow I can take a picture of them, now it’s already night.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Ok, we have both varieties but just lump them all as grasshoppers lol.
I usually call these animals this way - everything that is small and jumps is a grasshopper, if it jumps and it is big then it is a locust :LOL:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Cool! You manage to breed them! I only have time for roaches. 🤪
By the way, they look a little different for me, tomorrow I can take a picture of them, now it’s already night.
The ones I have are dessert locusts (Schistocerca gregaria), may you possibly have migratory locusts (Locusta migratoria)?
They should be fairly similar though.
They breed fairly easy but will need a hear lamp....And they poop a lot as you probably know by now 😂

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
The ones I have are dessert locusts (Schistocerca gregaria), may you possibly have migratory locusts (Locusta migratoria)?
They breed fairly easy but will need a hear lamp....And they poop a lot as you probably know by now 😂
Exactly! I have migratory locusts. I buy it because Foxy just goes crazy for them. In the insect store there is also a desert one, but for some reason I didn’t pay attention to it, by the way, migratory locusts also poop a lot :ROFLMAO:
I'll try to diversify the locust's diet according to your advice

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The ones I get are dessert to lol 🍨 😋 Snickers will do backflips to get them lol. I have to go out and catch them though. Because they are invasive they can't be bought or sold here. When I was in Nevada I could get far enough into the desert to not have to worry about pesticides and such. Here in Washington I doubt I'll be able to give them wild caught.

I wonder if I fly to back Vegas if I can sneak a box full of them through security at the airport lmao 🤣.... wouldn't that be fun to try to explain to tsa 🤪

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
The ones I get are dessert to lol 🍨 😋 Snickers will do backflips to get them lol. I have to go out and catch them though. Because they are invasive they can't be bought or sold here. When I was in Nevada I could get far enough into the desert to not have to worry about pesticides and such. Here in Washington I doubt I'll be able to give them wild caught.

I wonder if I fly to back Vegas if I can sneak a box full of them through security at the airport lmao 🤣.... wouldn't that be fun to try to explain to tsa 🤪
Maybe you should think about breeding? You can bring a few from Vegas and create a colony. :D

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Maybe you should think about breeding? You can bring a few from Vegas and create a colony. :D
I had considered it, I just simply don't have the time to do it successfully.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
As I promised, I am posting a photo of my locust.
These are migratory locusts, so they have a slightly different pattern and shape from yours.

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 22

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom