what light is the basking light

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyvale22

Hatchling Member
ok, i know i keep asking silly questions but i just got Yoshi in the mail and he's sitting there looking at me funny. i have two lights - the longer dome light (80)and the hotter dome light. i don't know the actual names of them. should his branch for basking be in the smaller one? and his hammock be under the cooler one? also he's 4 months old and i wanted to know if it's ok to leave a small amount of water in his bowl and where do i put it.

LJean

Extreme Poster
The basking light is the one that produces the heat to help him digest his food. (hot bulb)
The UVB light would be the long one. ;) He needs to be under both while basking really.

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
Alright, what your gonna need is a MVB, which will provide UV rays like UVB and UVA and also heat, or a reptisun 10.0 within 6-8 inches of the basking site for UV rays and a heat bulb for heating the basking site.

sunnyvale22

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok - this is the set up that i have. i turned the log so the highest part would be under the "heated" lamp though. should they be closer? and is there an area that doesn't have light, like near his hammok. sorry - i'm just really new to this. i thought i resurched everything but i guess not.

eee129.jpg

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
Thats look great! But now you'll need a reptisun 10.0 tube and fixture that runs the whole enclosure, and is close enough so he can get within 6-8 inches of it so he can syntesize vitamin D, and not develop MBD.

LJean

Extreme Poster
What are the names and wattages of the bulbs you are using?

The tank looks good, but the uvb light should also be over where he basks. It's better to have him get the uvb while he is basking under the heat bulb. Be sure to the basking temps to make sure they are good.

Lights should stay on 12-14 hours a day.

sunnyvale22

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so i should get a second atachment? could someone show me a picture so i know what mine should look like. :D
thank you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom