What is the best type of substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use crushed walnut shells. I used to use calcium sand. But I heard from my pet store that crushed walnut shells is a much better substrate than calcium sand or other types... But today someone replied to a post in the breeding section and told me that crushed wanut shells can cause impaction...
What is the best type of substrate???

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
It's true crushed walnut shells, sand, any loose particle substrate can cause impaction when ingested as it's not digestable regardless of what the packaging says.

I originally kept mine on crushed walnut shell too. It is probably the worse thing we can use as a substate...geez thanks pet stores huh? Anyhow I recently am using a non adhesive linoleum with texture for traction with tiles in the basking area under basking rocks or logs. I didn't think I would like it when I changed but I must be honest it's so much easier to keep clean. No more buying and disposing of walnut shells, no more clogged nostrils on my beardies and dust everywhere, no more litter box :D lessens the chances of parasites. :mrgreen:

AnimalKingdom

Original Poster
Hmmm interesting. Where do you get the linoleum from? Like a home depot or can you get it from pet stores?

What about the turf they sell at pet stores i wonder...

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Not the pet stores they are gonna push calcium sand and walnut shells. I picked mine up at a flooring store. Often you can pick up remnant pieces for really cheap. We got some that looked like hardwood flooring except has a wood-grain texture to it. The remnant was large enough to floor 14 viv's (ranging from 29gal to 135gal most are 60gal)with enough left over in case I need to replace a couple for like $35. The slate tile I picked up at Orchard Hardware Supply (10 - 12x12 tiles for under $20). So much cheaper than constantly replacing the substrate. With 10 to 14 viv's up and running all year I was spending a fortune before. I also have some with quarry tile that hubby picked up that were left over from work. I've not spent a dime on substrate since we change several years ago. :mrgreen: No more sifting to get out the dried up veggies just vacuum or sweep it out. Poop cleans up nicely and you can get all the bacteria as well not just the bulk of it. And KNOCK ON WOOD! So far since the change all fecals have come up negative. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure about the turf as I've never used it, but Zak-n-Wheezie also on top of tile and lino have a piece of repti-carpet in their viv.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
Mine both have carpet ( outdoor carpet) as recommended by the vet. When we build a bigger viv for Louie, I am going to switch to slate/tile flooring. Easy clean up with that! The carpet is okay to clean, unless it's a really messy poop! LOL We bought a roll for less then $20, and have at least 7 strips of carpet to use so I can wash one carpet, and let it dry while putting a new carpet in there.

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
Thanks for this thread. My baby is on repticarpet right now since he's small, but I'll just continue to use that. I love the tile/slate ideas though, too. And I'm always at my home improvement store. :roll:

Thanks!

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
AnimalKingdom":1k9h89fi said:
Is there anything to avoid when buying tiles for the viv???

If you are referring to stone tile (ceramic, slate, etc), ideally you want something that has some texture to it. If it's too smooth, I guess they can have an issue getting traction.

Israel

I use the ceramic/slate tiles in Israel's tank, and the top has a rough design/surface for easy traction. It's easy to keep clean, just simply wipe any messes with a wet paper towel, and voila! I find it holds heat nicely too, for when he likes to bask on the bottom of his tank, as opposed to his branches.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
AnimalKingdom":2uupbkot said:
That it has a surface that is not slick or glossy so they can get traction. Main reason most use the slate tiles (an I also like the small quarry tiles). I found that sometimes the ceramic ones are harder to find in a less smooth surface, but it can be done you just may have to look around.

Which thinking of tiles I seen some really nice looking thick tiles made of sand stone.
Is anyone using or used sand stone and if so what do you think of it?
Pooping in viv and cleaning of poop from them I'm not worried about as most of mine don't poop in their viv's anyway.

AnimalKingdom

Original Poster
fresnowitte":2rxjhbg1 said:
AnimalKingdom":2rxjhbg1 said:
That it has a surface that is not slick or glossy so they can get traction. Main reason most use the slate tiles (an I also like the small quarry tiles). I found that sometimes the ceramic ones are harder to find in a less smooth surface, but it can be done you just may have to look around.

Which thinking of tiles I seen some really nice looking thick tiles made of sand stone.
Is anyone using or used sand stone and if so what do you think of it?
Pooping in viv and cleaning of poop from them I'm not worried about as most of mine don't poop in their viv's anyway.

Where do your guys poop?

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
beardie parents":fmfk04pj said:
95% of the time, our's poop outside, once in a while they poop in the tub (Goldie most of the time) or on our bed spread.

Ugh... That's a habit I would think needs to be broken! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom