What is an alternate use for vermiculite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurf341

ive heard of people using peat moss, hatch rite, vermiculite, or peritlyte and i havent heard anything bad about any of them...

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Hello as I use ether vermiculite, Perlite or hatch rite I would not use peat moss as it will make your eggs grow mold!!!! I have had the best luck with vermiculite but then again this is just my 2 cents!!!!! Any more questions just ask!!!!!!!!!

Lance

Smurf341

I have to keep alot of my plants continuously wet and they are all in peat moss and i havent had any mold problems. I have heard people complain that vermiculite molds to easily but that is what i use and havent had any problems. Just because so many people use it I would say it would probably be your best bet... maybe do a couple in moss and see if it works?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Yes this is true but do you have your plants in an incubator at 85 degrees and the humidity at at least 80% consistent ? Just curious! I was just stating that I myself have tried it and mold formed really quick! I also use vermiculite and cant complain. But again whatever works best....... Just my 2 cents..

Lance

Smurf341

No i have them in a room at 80 degrees, all im saying is that I havent had any troubles, but again i didnt know that you had tried it in an incubator before.

spyder86

Hatchling Member
I work for the USDA in an entomology lab, we use vermiculite to put insect eggs in b/c it keeps them at the perfect temp. It works great for about anything that you need to keep warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom