what is a good way to gain weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePonz

My beardie is a little on the skinny side and could definitely stand to gain a few grams so I was wondering what an easy way is for him to gain some weight. I've heard pinkies work good for weight gain and I know that a whole bunch of people freak out about beardies eating pinkies is horrible. I have no problem with it and I will be feeding pre-killed anyway. If that's a good way for weight gain, I want to make sure he is big enough to eat one. He is about 7 months old at about 15" or so.

Desdemona

i think the worry about pinkies is that they can harm your Dragon, not that it's eating baby mice/rats. Waxworms are very fattening. Don't go crazy with them though, you don't want a Dragon that will eat only wax worms. I don't know if it happens with them, but Leos sometimes will switch to eating only wax worms.

ThePonz

Original Poster
I guess my question is...how can a pinky harm my dragon especially since there really isn't an impaction risk since there aren't any bones

ThePonz

Original Poster
How could that be dangerous. I understand that they can get fatty liver disease I think it is only if they are fed regularly which he won't be fed

Gail

BD.org Addict
you are right that one pink won't cause fatty liver but it also won't be enough for weight gain either. There is debate on whether or not a dragon can digest mammals well enough to keep the impaction risk low.
I fed a pinky once but it was to a 22" adult, I don't think I'd risk it with a 15". You would be better off with waxies, butter worms or even superworms.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How much does he actually weigh ? He may not be too thin, could be just a growth spurt like a lanky teen-ager. And yes, super, butter and horn worms will put some weight on, but can also produce a finicky eater that will only settle for his favorites...if he;s eating crickets now, give him twice a day or 3 times if he'll take them. If fed the worms and he STILL will eat crix, then that will do the trick. Unless he's thin due to parasite overload, but that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom