What happens with a bug diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Hey. Helius still has never eaten veggies/fruits. He nibbles on clover outside and on lettuce/collard greens now and then. thats it. nada. He is over 2 years of age. I've had him since 7 months of age. And never had any luck. I've tried it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall, and have frequented the board over time and gotten quite a bit of creative and wonderful advice. It still is what it is though.

Right now, he gets bugs only 2-3 times a week. I try like heck to get him to nibble his veggies each day.

How long can this go on before his health goes south? He's already always had an issue with constipation and hard urates from the lack of eating veggies (that was even with daily spoon feedings of baby food for months and months and daily baths).

I've quite basically. We've now settled into a pattern of offering veggies/fruits every day. Bugs 2-3x a week depending. Baths almost daily up to 30 minutes since he lacks the fluids from veggies. And yeah, i've tried starving him .. only offering a few bugs once a week, did no good.

So uh .. how common/uncommon is this? Whats our future like?

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
oh yeah, if no one remembers us, just to be clear: I've been here since the day I got him. Have him in a 40 gallon, 102 basking, 80 cool side, reptisun 10.0 7 inches away or so inside the tank (not over a screen), bathes 4-6 days a week for 30 mins, he goes outside for more than 15 minutes every day I am able, gets his vitamins and calcium dust, eats an array of superworms, wax worms, phoenix worms, hornworms, and crickets. I let him out to free roam several times a week (but he just sits in one place pretty much). So, everything is in order.
He was private bred. veggies were all in the tank when I bought him. He was the biggest baddest boy with the most active personality. But I never did see him bite a veggie. Thought since such good ones were available it was a given he was eating them. So I dont know if this behavior began when I brought him home or if it was always the case.

milo0

Hatchling Member
I saw your post on my thread, and like you said- we're in the same boat!

The only thing I can suggest is giving these a go- http://www.petstoresoutlet.com/adult-bearded-dragon-food-2lb.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CNnDwN2277oCFUMV7AodEkUAow

That's the only thing my BD will eat, plus it's supposed to provide the nutrients they would get from fruits and veggies. You're supposed to soak them and put them over their salads, but I just throw them whole and dry right in and he'll munch on them. He eats around 6 or 7 of these usually a day, but it's the only thing he's willing to accept. These aren't the 'best' thing for them, since fresh fruits and veggies are the main thing they need but in order for him not to starve, I feed him these. Again, they aren't anywhere near as good for them but it's the only thing I've been able to get him to eat.

Oh, and by the way... maybe our beardie's are related. They seem to have the same stubborn gene. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom