What does it mean...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst4us04

I have noticed alot lately that my beardie, Draco, is sitting on his tree with his mouth open, for quiet a bit of time. He never did this before, and all of a sudden, I have noticed him doing this quite a bit lately. I don't know if it means he is thirsty- or if its too hot in there- or hungry or something... or possibly maybe nothing. I just found this odd since he never did it before, or he may have done it before just not as often to where I could see him. If anyone knows why he is doing this- I would appreciate knowing too- - that way I know if he needs something or if I am being too paranoid. :)

Thanks!!

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
He's gaping. It's a thermoregulation tactic, sometimes they also do it when they are scared.
If he's sitting in his basking spot, it's most likely gapping. Sorta like dog panting...
Double check your temps, it's starting to get to spring and it could be his spot is running a bit hot.
If it's infrequent gaping, that's just fine- normal even. If it's pretty regular, you might want to try dropping your temps just a little.
Make sure you are leaving the probe on your thermometer in place at least half an hour to get an accurate read.
Do not trust stick on thermometers.

RosiezMom

Awesome!

Rosie has yet to do this... but I'm so appreciative of this site & it's members! I learn something new every single day!!

Can't wait til I myself am an 'old pro!'

Boo

jst4us04

Original Poster
Great, thanks so much! I was clueless to what this meant and knew it had to be him telling me something possibly. Every little new thing he does that is akward or out of the ordinary, I question!! DON'T want anything happening to my baby! Thank goodness for this site!

Thanks again!!

bigd83

Juvie Member
RosiezMom":b44f3 said:
Awesome!

Rosie has yet to do this... but I'm so appreciative of this site & it's members! I learn something new every single day!!

Can't wait til I myself am an 'old pro!'

Boo

What are your temps? Like zimbabwepegasus said, it is very normal if your temps are spot on. Dinho did this from day 1 when i got him. they like to be warm and they have to options to stay in the heat to get that way, either move a bit to a different spot or gape to vent the cool down a bit. It is very normal and healthy. When i don't see him gape for a little while then it is time to check his temps again!

jst4us04

Original Poster
I will definitely keep an eye on the temps, but as of right now, its where it should be. So I guess I have nothing to worry about. But with the weather getting warmer, that can change.

Thanks so much for all of your help- I truly appreciate it. Its great having this site, knowing if you have even the silliest question in your mind about your little beardie, you can come here and get answers. :D

jst4us04

Original Poster
Oh also- how did you guys get your pics on there underneath your screen names?? I thought I uploaded an image, but nothing is there. I have heard about having photobucket, but I don't have that, just have pics saved on my computer.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom