What do you get out of breeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Hi, I'm just wondering what the point of breeding is. To sell the beardies afterwards? If so, where would you sell them. I know that basically all the pet stores around here wouldn't buy them off a private breeder ( like us ). Or do you just sell them privately, like to friends/people on this site?

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
It would seem lots of people should confront this question before they go down the breeding trail.
There is considerable time and money that goes into breeding any dragons whether it's 2 or 10 dragons.
The market is definitely shifting away from normal dull colored dragons to the high end morphs, and most pet stores look at local breeder sales as a rescue. That is "rescue"you from feeding the monsters until you go broke, lol.

IMHO, Unless you go all in and put down some cash on some GRADE A breeders you are lucky to make your investment back over the course of a breeding season, and even with "collector quality" dragons there's a lot that can go wrong. It can become easy to see prices/clutch sizes/multiple clutches and do the math to make you RICH, but feeders, electric bill, cages, good dragons, and time spent managing everything is a harsh reality.

I heard someone post on a different forum that you are better off working at WalMart if you want to make money. At least you get paid, and can get some supplies and your own food cheap while enjoying your dragon.

All that being said, we enjoy collecting AWESOME bearded dragons, and breeding allows us to upgrade our collection and teach my 3 kids about reptile reproduction and growth (home schooled). I have a good business that pays great, the only reason I breed is to pay for a hobby I love. It's kind of like gardening for me.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom