What do we do

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Dreki is acting EXACTLY the way she did right before she laid her two previous clutches. (One last month, the first one the month before that) The scratching to get out and get down, the digging, the wandering all over the tank, not eating, she gained a ton of weight in two weeks. (Went from 4-something to almost 600g) Surely it's not healthy or safe for her to basically be laying a clutch every month.?

She's one. What sort of health/safety issues would we be facing if (after she lays this clutch) we let her mate, have fertile eggs, then get her spayed.? I mean, is there anything to do to like.. stop her from laying every single month.? She's a slender girl to begin with and I just don't think we can keep the nutrients in her she needs to basically be constantly laying eggs. It is stressing me out. What do we do

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would not spay her personally. I hate the idea of surgery on a healthy dragon.
Load her up with calcium as soon as she lays. Give it to her daily for at least a couple weeks.
They have 4 egg beds that can be active in any order or all at once. She will stop at some point. Our girl Ruby had had 3 clutches since the 1st of January. She was looking rough but she has already bounced back, your girl should to.
Feed her well after she lays to get weight back on her just in case she goes off food again for another clutch

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A healthy dragon can handle the stresses of laying but I know it's stressful to see it happen again + again. A weight of 400-600 is not thin at all for an adult female. Some of my females laid 5,6.7,8 clutches. Can you post a couple pics of her ?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I would not spay her personally. I hate the idea of surgery on a healthy dragon.
Load her up with calcium as soon as she lays. Give it to her daily for at least a couple weeks.
They have 4 egg beds that can be active in any order or all at once. She will stop at some point. Our girl Ruby had had 3 clutches since the 1st of January. She was looking rough but she has already bounced back, your girl should to.
Feed her well after she lays to get weight back on her just in case she goes off food again for another clutch
I really don't wanna do surgery on her either, I know it's stressful for them but damn. You know how small Dreki already is and she just seems...not happy. She's spent *literally* all day today digging in her sandbox today and yesterday. She is covered in sand as a result. I give her calcium on her salad everyday and since she started laying, I give her extra calcium on it and I also dust the bugs a bit. And she *loves* her salad, she'll take your fingers for some salad so she gets a decent amount of calcium but jeez... I can't Imagine having babies over and over

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
A healthy dragon can handle the stresses of laying but I know it's stressful to see it happen again + again. A weight of 400-600 is not thin at all for an adult female. Some of my females laid 5,6.7,8 clutches. Can you post a couple pics of her ?
She's not skinny but she's always been...slender and, at least, looks smaller. She's handled it well, though. Our almost two year old isn't even showing signs of getting ready to lay, she only gets in her dig box to rest her head on the rim to look patheticlly at us. Here are a couple photos of her that I took today. She's covered in sand because she's digging nonstop

Attachments

• 20240302_191436.jpg
    20240302_191436.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240302_191449.jpg
    20240302_191449.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 19

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Slender is generally healthy in a lot of creatures as long as they're actually not too skinny. She looks good, how much does she weigh there ? I know she'll look thinner afterwards though.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Slender is generally healthy in a lot of creatures as long as they're actually not too skinny. She looks good, how much does she weigh there ? I know she'll look thinner afterwards though.
Just under 600g. Last time she laid, she was about 600 before and dropped as low as 440 after. It's definitely a noticable difference in her.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
That's a good weight though. How long is she ?
She's about 19 inches, almost 20, I believe. Shes a good weight and length but she's always seemed more slender and petite, almost. I guess compared to a 900g 21 inch one, she would look smaller. 😅

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Yes and 900 is a little too much !
Yes, we know. She's definitely a fat girl and we've changed her diet so she only gets bugs like twice a week, maybe three at the most. She was kinda chunky when we got her at 4 months, her breeder would just give her a bowl of super worms everyday and so as a result, she was always looking for food and would eat a ton and always seem starving.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, you're wise to put her on a diet then. Live food no more then twice a week in small amounts should help her lose slowly.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
O.K, you're wise to put her on a diet then. Live food no more then twice a week in small amounts should help her lose slowly.
Yeah, she's been turning away food more often than eating it lately. She's gotten into this super territorial/submissive state where she'll push up/puff her beard at the boys but when it comes to Dreki, all hell breaks loose. She headbobs, footstomps and tries to jump down to get to her constantly. Even right now, she's sitting on the edge of my bed, watching Dreki.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom